Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Silvio knows how to embarrass Europe.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silvio knows how to embarrass Europe.....

Obama is young, handsome and tanned, says Silvio Berlusconi

The Italian prime minister raises eyebrows with more of his off-key remarks, this time about Barack Obama

Silvio Berlusconi, the Italian prime minister, offered his own particular form of praise today for America's president-elect Barack Obama, describing him as "young, handsome and tanned.''

Belusconi, who is known for his regular off-key remarks, subsequently claimed to be joking after he spoke of Obama at a news conference, following talks with the Russian president, Dmitry Medvedev.

When asked by a reporter about the future prospect of US-Russian relations, Berlusconi referred to the youth of both leaders - Medvedev, 43, and Obama, 47 - which he said should make it easier for Moscow and Washington to work together.

He then continued: "I told the president that [Obama] has everything needed in order to reach a deal with him: he's young, handsome and tanned."

Later, when he returned to his hotel, Berlusconi said his comment that Obama was "giovane, bello e abbronzato", "was a big compliment," which only "imbeciles" would misinterpret, Italy's state news wire Ansa reported. "If some people don't have a sense of humour, then it's their problem,'' he said.

It is not the first time Berlusconi's descriptions have jarred with the public. When he took over the rotating presidency of the EU in 2003, he likened Martin Schulz, a German member of the European Parliament, to a concentration camp guard.

In the same year, at an event sponsored by the New York Stock Exchange in America, he said people should invest in Italy because the women there are pretty. "We have beautiful ladies and beautiful women, so my suggestion from the bottom of my heart is to try to make investments in Italy,'' he said. "The secretaries are beautiful.''

(...)
    full: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008...ly-barackobama

Not surprisingly good old Silvio missed another opportunity to shut up.
    Blah

Electing Bush twice doesn't all that bad when you consider others managed to elect Berlusconi thrice.
    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

tanned?? does he realize that Obama is black?
      "

Comment

Obama's not black.
        Unbelievable!

Comment

EPW, welcome to the discourse.

BB, Europe isn't embarassed in the slightest. He represents a kind of caciquism and conservatism that the rest of Europe has long left behind. He reminds us of the US Republican Party, not ourselves.

Comment

I think some people need to loosen up some.

Barack Obama is a politician, he's not the Messiah or the Prophet Muhammad. He should be able to take things like this in stride, and I believe so should his "followers".

Comment

There are worse things to say than this.
              "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

Europe's greatest asshat leader strikes again!
                "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

The assumption here is that black people can't tan. I find that racist.

Long time member @ Apolyton
                  Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Why do you call him black if he's a mulatto? One drop theory is racist, you know.
                    Graffiti in a public toilet
                    Do not require skill or wit
                    Among the **** we all are poets
                    Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Originally posted by onodera
                      Why do you call him black if he's a mulatto? One drop theory is racist, you know.
                      Are you being serious?
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Frankly, I'm more worried that he's a muslin. Can we really trust fabrics to lead the US government?
                        "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

I'm sad at the line some of you are taking. People like Berlusconi make politics fun!
                          Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninot
                            I'm sad at the line some of you are taking. People like Berlusconi make politics fun!
                            In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

LOL
                              "The type of conservatism that other europeans have left far behind..."

Yeah, now they have whole new type of 'conservatism' to deal with across Europe ....(thinking of Austria..)

Yay progress!!
                              "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                              "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                              "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Working...
                              X