Switzerland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switzerland

So will Germany, France and Italy repo the place and divvy it up once the Swiss banks' little house of cards collapses?

Really though, what will become of Switzerland? Are Euro countries propping it up behind the scenes?
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

???

what is tough for them... Swiss banks are OK... soon back into profitability & really there are only two huge banks , UBS and Credit Suisse, out of which UBS really piled on losses.. aboug 50bn I think but they are soon back into the profit zone I would guess as well... with Credit Suisse not nearly as badly hit... the rest (and that's majority when you put them all together) of finance are mostly smaller wealth management banks which have nothing to do with the current credit crunch...

Overall, they'll get of lightly comparing to US/UK and other countries who had an asset boom which is deflating now...
    Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Oh, well that's good news. I thought it was dire.

Comment

As far as I am aware they are OK... I mean the manufacturing exports will suffer a bit, they might have recession dependable how bad it is in the rest of the world next year, but I think they will be pretty much OK...

Small country with big problems is Iceland
        Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
        GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Iceland can always fall back on the herring industry, yes?

Comment

It will take a lot of herring to pay off 10+ bn of losses that it's banks made

Comment

Still, nice place to live...

Could they sell Greenland?

Comment

The Danes could sell Greenland... so Iceland is screwed for foreseeable future as far as I can tell, but it's a great and safe place to live... people don't lock their doors even...

will be interesting to see how do they get out of all that financial mess over the years...

the latest is that their bank failures will cost UK! treasury 1.3 billion poundsjust for UK customers now imagine the fallout at home... they are running at 18% rates at the moment I think... not sure how indebted they were as a nation... so if they all have their homes, perhaps they can just sit it out... catch herring, have something to eat and enjoy life till this passes...

The lack of foreign currency has raised the danger that importers will not be able to do business abroad and the island of 320,000 people in the middle of the North Atlantic will be left without basic goods.

but herring is still available, and I don't think anyone will take their boats away

Comment

Yankys and their lack of common knowledge - first Palin not knowing africa is a continent and now lancer thinking Greenland is a part of Iceland

On topic - why should EU care about possible crashes of Swiss banks ? They are not a member of EU (that actually adds yet another )
                  With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Iceland should beg the Danes to take them back.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat
                      Yankys and their lack of common knowledge - first Palin not knowing africa is a continent and now lancer thinking Greenland is a part of Iceland

On topic - why should EU care about possible crashes of Swiss banks ? They are not a member of EU (that actually adds yet another )
                      Greenland and Denmark are part of Iceland.

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
                        Still, nice place to live...
                        If you & Dolores lived there and had a little boy and a little girl, their last names would be Lancerson and Lancerdaughter. Fact!

Comment

FACT!

Dolores has a distant relative in Iceland and another in Denmark. Hope they're ok...

Comment

Working...
                          X