• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ostriches are the new Chickens.

Crowd may have demolished ostrich sandwich record bid

Gallery Published Date: 18 October 2008
    By MICHAEL THEODOULOU

A COURAGEOUS if bizarre bid by Iran to construct the world's biggest ostrich sandwich and encourage healthy eating became spectacular victim of its own success yesterday when an enthusiastic crowd of hungry onlookers scoffed the titanic snack as it was being measured.

Three representatives from the Guinness Book of Records blinked in amazement as people devoured the nutritious dish within minutes.

But rather than bury their heads in the sand, the event's architects remained hopeful that television footage would prove the whopper sandwich was unsurpassed in size and weight.

"We still think it will be in the Guinness book because of all the evidence and footage we sent them," Parvin Shariati, one of the planners, said plaintively as he attempted to appear unruffled.

Some 1,500 cooks had spent two days preparing the sandwich in Tehran's flowery Mellat Park.

Fifteen hundred metres of tables had been laid side by side to bear the Moby Dick of sandwiches, which was stuffed with 700kg of ostrich meat and an equal amount of chicken.

The crowd had been promised a taste but organizers were wholly unprepared for the chaotic scramble that ensued before the work with the measuring tapes had been completed.

An American who went to the international food festival in the park said: "Unfortunately, by the time I arrived the Tehranis had devoured the entire 1.5km of ostrich sandwich!"

He did not leave Mellat Park disappointed, however. "There were lots of other stands offering samples of delicious food from all regions of Iran … it was a beautiful cool fall day and it seemed as though all of Tehran was attending the fair."

The ambitious venture was organised by Tehran's city council with ostrich farmers and caterers keen to promote ostrich meat. In retrospect, it was probably unwise to schedule the event's completion at lunchtime.

Ostrich farmers say the flesh of their flightless bird – apart from being very tasty – is very low in cholesterol, has half as much fat as chicken and is high in protein and iron. Iran is the world's largest ostrich breeder after South Africa and China but maintains it has a better climate than either competitor for breeding the birds.

Given yesterday's overwhelming response, ostrich meat is destined to take flight – metaphorically speaking – in Iran's restaurants, where it will inevitably end up between two slices of pitta bread – kebab is king in most Iranian restaurants.

The dishes that have made Persian cuisine famous worldwide are mostly home-made, because Iranian women generally do not work in restaurants.

One of the most celebrated dishes is ghormeh sabzi, a subtle concoction of lamb, herbs and lemon that takes great skill and hours to prepare.

Guilty Tehranis who gobbled the monster sandwich are waiting to see if the Guinness Book of Records will accept that what they were digesting last night beat the previous record ostrich sandwich of 1,378m, set in Italy in May.
    Get all of the latest news from The Scotsman. Providing a fresh perspective for online news.

That's alot of Ostrich.
    "

So now snake, and all others, taste like ostrich, not chicken?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

yes
      "

Comment

If someone did not occasionally post a thread with a title something like 'Ostriches are the new Chickens' I would be forced to conclude that humanity had died but not been notified.
        Long time member @ Apolyton
        Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

I wonder what the cost to raise an ostrich to slaughter is compared to an equal weight in chicken?
          Monkey!!!

Comment

Ostrich, 132,789,654 Kullapis per 1 Ongaru. Chicken 129,734,864 Kullapis per 1 Ongaru.

By weight an Ongaru is 1/34th of a stone.

Comment

Ostrich Is a bit to lean for my tastes. When I make ostrich burgers I like to fry up some bacon first then cook the ostrich burgers in the bacon grease. When you're finished put the bacon on top and make a proper bacon cheese burger out of it.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Oerdin, do you think that would help too lean beef that tends to be tough?

Comment

I do. Lean Beef = Buffalo
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

Japher, you've tried cooking buffalo meat in bacon grease and it helped?

I have a problem with this in the Phils.

Comment

I wonder if I ran the meat through the grinder then mixed in the cooled grease and ran it through the grinder again...

Comment

Nope, never tried it. However, I've seen people wrap it bacon and cook it that way.

I would look up buffalo recipes and just cook the meat that way, if it's too lean.
                        Monkey!!!

Comment

OSTRICH NOT PIG.
                          "

Comment

Pig fat rules!
                            Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
                              Oerdin, do you think that would help too lean beef that tends to be tough?
                              Maybe the the more important thing is to not over cook it. Ostrich burgers are made from ground meat so tough isn't an issue. With whole cuts of meat from a lean animal (deer, sheep, goats, grass feed cattle which wasn't fattened on corn, etc) just keep it on the rare side and it won't turn into shoe leather.
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                              X