Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Circuit City-Death Watch

Good luck to any who are employed there

Personally, not sad to see it go, but I do have a 10$ gift card I need to use...

Circuit City Shutters 155 Stores

By Andrew R Hickey, ChannelWeb
    10:51 AM EST Mon. Nov. 03, 2008
    Circuit City (NYSE:CC) on Monday said it plans to close 155 stores and curtail store openings in response to its deteriorating liquidity position and the weak economy.

Circuit City said it will also cut 17 percent of its domestic workforce as part of the store closings, which will affect stores in 55 U.S. markets and will result in Circuit City leaving 12 markets nationwide. The stores slated for closure will not open on Tuesday, Nov. 4, and will begin closing sales on Wednesday, Nov. 5. The stores will close for good by the end of the year. The list of stores Circuit City is closing is available here.

According to a statement from the Richmond, Va.-based consumer-electronics retail chain, the restructuring actions will be taken immediately to avoid the company slipping into bankruptcy. While the main component of the plan will result in 155 stores closing their doors, Circuit City also plans to reduce future store openings and aggressively renegotiate certain leases. Circuit City said it will not open at least 10 locations that were previously expected. It does expect to open two incremental stores during the remainder of 2009, but management intends to suspend store openings beginning in fiscal 2010.

The company did say, however, that it is also considering all available options and alternatives as part of its restructuring plan. Once the 155 stores close for good, Circuit City will maintain 566 stores in 153 U.S. markets.

Circuit City has been considering its options for weeks, with store closings being chief among those considerations. The fallout comes amid economic and financial turmoil. Circuit City said many of its vendors have renegotiated their terms and some now require Circuit City to pay for inventory before product is shipped to stores.

"Since late September, unprecedented events have occurred in the financial and consumer markets causing macroeconomic trends to worsen sharply," said Circuit City Vice Chairman and acting President and CEO James A. Marcum in a statement. "The weakened environment has resulted in a slowdown of consumer spending, further impacting our business as well as the business of our vendors. The combination of these trends has strained severely our working capital and liquidity, and so we are making a number of difficult, but necessary, decisions to address the company's financial situation as quickly as possible."
    In some ways its justice for how they screwed their better employees a couple years ago, but I hate to see the little guy lose because of pathetic mismanagement, especially a month from Christmas.

Spoiler:
    hello black friday circuit city liquidation sale

Indeed... feel sorry for the employees, not particularly sorry to see this chain feeling the hurt. I've never liked them much, even compared to Best Buy which is saying something.
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Frys
      Monkey!!!

Comment

Indeed ... and Frys will probably still have better sales than Circuit City going out of business. I was terribly disappointed by the prices at CompUSA, after all, and they were going almost entirely out of business (less possibility of redistributing merchandise, so better sales). These going out of business sales have gotten quite poor lately

Comment

Linens 'n Things wasn't too bad I heard.
          Monkey!!!

Comment

The problem is that BB&B regularly gives out 20-25% coupons, so the LNT sale really wasn't all that special, and when you factored in the crappy selection (ie, no queen size bed sheets etc.), unless you were lucky or had time to be the first person there, you got squat.

That said, we did replace our sheets, blanket, and duvet cover at around 30% off, but we probably could've done nearly as well at BB&B shopping intelligently, and gotten slightly better stuff.

Heck, I was at (not in) LNT 2 days before store closure, and they weren't even at 50% off on their signage (40% off)... as of when do stores not lower most merchandise to 50% off days before a store closes?????

Comment

IIRC CompUSA actually had higher prices during their liquidation sale, at least on some desirable merchandise.

Comment

This shakeup can't come soon enough.

There are far too many morons in retail who are chasing market share down to the last point of margin.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I have seen good deals on a couple things at Circuit City in the past, like Harddrives. Generally I don't liek them.

JM
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN
                  GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Their prices always seem a tad higher than other big box retailers... But we have one near us where the service is far better than the alternatives. I haven't bought many things there, but I have been pleased with the things I did buy from there.
                    Keep on Civin'
                    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

While I utterly empathize with the retail employees, I'm pretty delighted that this has happened to Circuit City as a company, considering how they shafted their long-time employees a year or so ago. Rotten bastards.
                      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

How did they shaft them?
                        Long time member @ Apolyton
                        Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
                          How did they shaft them?
                          The made a big round of layoffs that targeted employees whoes pay rates were "outside" the normal range of the position within the store. Thus long-time employees got the axe first.
                          "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved - loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves."--Victor Hugo

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
                            How did they shaft them?
                            They fired 3500 employees who had been with the company for years and years--some over 10, 15 years--and replaced them with people at a much lower pay rate.

The upshot of this was that long-term employees who actually knew what they were doing were replaced with low-paid, low-motivation workers who had no idea what they were doing.

And for some inexplicable reason, CC's business suffered. Huh.
                            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Circuit CIty can hit the street for all I care.

Also, I think it's interesting to finally start seeing a line drawn between Wal*Mart and their competitors. I even heard someone talking about the difference between Costco and Sams. There didn't use to be one, and now BB and Wal*Mart seem to have a line, and around here Meijer and Target have a difference.

Oh, and that difference ain't bad and attracts certain customers. This gives a sig marketing advantage, direction, and ability to compete.

I guess what I am saying, is that CIrcuit City didn't fall because of Walfart, they fell because they suck. Office Max is next.
                              Monkey!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X