History thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• History thread

Well, here we are. Several years after discussion of history was slowly extinguished at Apolyton, its ok to discuss it now. Up to us to bring this important aspect of the success of the OT back from the abyss of administrative 'help'. Since the freakin election is just about a passe topic we really ought to think about something else to talk about.

How about this. If you had no choice and had to go back in history and fight on one side or another in some war in history which side and war would you choose? You will have all the skills required. For instance if you go back to the US Revolutionary War you will be skilled with the firearms of the day.

Assume that you can change history, and alot of others might join you from the future or go to the other side but once you go you will have no memory of what transpired in the future past the time you go back to.

Forget for a minute that by changing history you might not exist to go back and change history.

For me, I go back and help the Romans defeat the barbarians. Likely my ancient family were barbarians, but screw them.
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

If I could Lancer, I would go back in time and not fight any neanderthals here

Seriously, I think it would have pretty cool to be involved in the Revolutionary war

Fight for Independance from England
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

I would go back in time and fight against the creation of the Tech forum

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson
        I would go back in time and fight against the creation of the Tech forum
        But then the technology that created the forum would not exist and thus lancer's alternative History Forum could not have been banished for the Howler Monkee that it turned out to be, no banshee..no banshee hunters
        Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Can we pick the commander we'd be serving under?

For example, I'd go to the Revolutionary War if I could serve under John Paul Jones, sailing across the bounding maine, ravishing to coastlines of Great Britain.

But I wouldn't want to be a foot soldier. Those guys were underequiped and underclothed. And if you didn't freeze to death at Valley Forge, you're more than likely to die in a prison ship from starvation, disease and filth.

Comment

Good point. On second thought I want to be with the natives that killed Magellan. When they got finished with him it was all pineapples and sun and fish the size of big fish.

Or for you Zkrib, big land animals.

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
              Or for you Zkrib, big land animals.

Comment

Fighting with teh anti-Franco forces in the Spanish Civil War. They needed all the help they could get.

Either that or fighting for the Byzantines against the crusaders in the 4th Crusade.
                "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

I'd love to serve under king David of Israel, only not if my name happened to be Urias.
                  Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                  Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
                    Fighting with teh anti-Franco forces in the Spanish Civil War. They needed all the help they could get.

Either that or fighting for the Byzantines against the crusaders in the 4th Crusade.

What would have resulted from a Franco defeat Rufus?

Nikolai, how might that have changed thing? Wasn't all that stuff supposed to have come to pass? Like, no way to change it...

Comment

I would like to kill communists or nazis
                      I need a foot massage

Comment

Well, it wouldn't in itself be changing history. But to be there...seeing David kick Goliat's ass. If I were given a long life, I'd like to see to David and his line doing things right instead of messing it up though. I'm not sure it had to come to pass, God gave David and his line plenty of chances they could have taken. I'm sure he'd have a way to give us the lessons anyway. Actually, seeing like that would mean that EVERYTHING that has happened can't be changed, as it's all a part of God's plan...
                        Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10

Comment

Barnabas, go to the Russian front and fire both ways.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnabas
                            I would like to kill communists or nazis
                            And commie nazis.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai
                              Well, it wouldn't in itself be changing history. But to be there...seeing David kick Goliat's ass. If I were given a long life, I'd like to see to David and his line doing things right instead of messing it up though. I'm not sure it had to come to pass, God gave David and his line plenty of chances they could have taken. I'm sure he'd have a way to give us the lessons anyway. Actually, seeing like that would mean that EVERYTHING that has happened can't be changed, as it's all a part of God's plan...
                              Interesting time.

Comment

Working...
                              X