This car gives me a woody

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This car gives me a woody

It's made out of freaking WOOD. Pretty much everything but the powerplant and headlights. Seats, frame, wheels, everything. I really wanna know if this thing will actually drive, or if overheating will make it catch fire, or what.

American Ingenuity

Oh, and the windows, of course. Everything that isn't functionally required to be made of metal/glass--everything structural--is wood.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

I hope it comes with a can of termite repellant.

Imagine waking up and finding that somebody ate your car.

Comment

On Mythbuster's MacGuyver episode, they made a two-seat plane out of bamboo shoots, duct tape, a chainsaw engine, and garbage bags.
      "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
      ^ The Poly equivalent of:
      "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Imagine colliding with an SUV in one of those things. I bet they're un-insurable.
        "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
          I hope it comes with a can of termite repellant.

Imagine waking up and finding that somebody ate your car WOODY.
          Fixed
          Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
            Imagine colliding with an SUV in one of those things. I bet they're un-insurable.
            Probably not much worse than hitting an SUV in a TVR or other lightweight sports car, which would be comparable in weight and horsepower. And since this is a one-of-a-kind concept car, I don't think insurance companies have a policy set for the Splinter.

Termites: Dunno, but the vital components are made of Osage orange wood, so tough it sparks when it's cut and ruins sawblades, and the rest is positively drenched in chemicals--glues and such. It's a pretty unappetizing prospect, I'd think. To a termite. Me, I think it looks awesome.

EDIT: Whoops, only the front suspension is made of Osage. But there's an FAQ that says that the wood's been chemically treated to strongly discourage insect pests.

Zkrib, in a collision with an SUV any car this size is going to be in deep doo-doo. It hardly matters if the frame is made of cardboard or recycled I-beams. Anyway, it's cool. Look at that finish!
            Last edited by Elok; November 3, 2008, 22:44.
            1011 1100
            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Elok

Probably not much worse than hitting an SUV in a TVR or other lightweight sports car, which would be comparable in weight and horsepower.
              I disagree. This thing has a wooden frame. It's a death trap!

Comment

This car gives me a woody

Hard wood?
                Long time member @ Apolyton
                Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

We've got to get these guys hooked up with Top Gear.
                  Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                  RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Working...
                  X