Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Official: Ontario becomes a have-not province, accepts charity payment from West

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Official: Ontario becomes a have-not province, accepts charity payment from West

Ontario's premier *****es incessantly these days about "fairness" and how Ontario is getting screwed out of money...now Ontario joins the national charity fund, which is funded exclusively by Western Canada right now -- bailing out those eastern bums and creeps...

Ontario to receive equalization payments

Finance Minister Jim Flaherty said Ontario will receive equalization payments for the first time in its history next year, and that the amount will be “more” than Premier Dalton McGuinty's government is anticipating.

“Ontario will be very happy with the figure I give them,” Mr. Flaherty told reporters on his way into a meeting with his provincial and territorial counterparts Monday. “It will be more than they expect.”

The 51-year-old equalization program will be the focal point of the gathering, which is scheduled to end around noon at a hotel near Toronto's Pearson airport. Mr. Flaherty revealed last week that he will take steps to rein in payments, which the minister says are growing at an unsustainable pace of about 15 per cent a year.

Mr. Flaherty, who is facing the first federal budget deficit in more than a decade, declined to provide details of how he will restrain the growth of the equalization program, which seeks to redistribute Canada's wealth to poorer regions from the richer ones.

The program paid $13.6-billion in the current fiscal year to all provinces except Ontario, British Columbia, Saskatchewan and Alberta.

One of the reasons Mr. Flaherty is seeking to rework the program is to account for Ontario's tumble into the group of provinces that will receive payments. The economy of Canada's largest province is being battered by the global financial crisis and a recession in the United States, events that have destroyed demand for Ontario's factory exports.

Ontario Finance Minister Dwight Duncan kept up his government's feud with the federal government, suggesting he thinks Mr. Flaherty's goal is keep the province from receiving equalization payments – despite the federal minister's repeated assertions to the contrary.

“I don't have the sense they get it in terms of Ontario,” Mr. Duncan told reporters.

Mr. Duncan said Mr. Flaherty still hadn't told him any details about the changes in store for the equalization program.

“If you want to have a serious dialogue, you might put a piece of paper in our hands beforehand,” Mr. Duncan said. “We'll receive the proposal. We won't be able to respond today.”

Mr. Duncan risks becoming isolated at the meeting, as many of his colleagues were taking a more collegial tone ahead of their latest meeting. Like Mr. Duncan, finance ministers from Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick and Manitoba said in interviews Friday that they were waiting to hear what Mr. Flaherty has in mind for the equalization program.

But while apprehensive about the possibility of lower equalization payments, all four ministers expressed sympathy for Mr. Flaherty's predicament and said they would enter today's meeting with an open mind.

“I can sympathize with what the minister is going through; everyone is going to have to do a little bit of belt tightening,” New Brunswick Finance Minister Victor Boudreau said. “So long as everyone is treated fairly, I'll be okay with that.”

Mr. Flaherty told reporters last week that he wasn't planning to “review” the equalization program, which was overhauled in 2007 after an extensive study by a panel led by Al O'Brien, a former Alberta deputy finance minister.

“We want to make sure that's not a program that gets bent out shape because that's a program that just got put back in shape,” Manitoba Finance Minister Greg Selinger said. “But there's been nothing put on the table, so we have to keep an open mind and find a way to co-operate together.”

PEI Finance Minister Wesley Sheridan acknowledged that Mr. Flaherty's concern over equalization is rooted in the possibility that Ontario might end up drawing from the program. “Once that happens, the cost of equalization grows dramatically,” Mr. Sheridan said.

Nova Scotia Finance Minister Michael Baker said he was unsure about Mr. Flaherty's assertion that the equalization program is growing at an unsustainable rate, since his province is due to receive decreased payments.

“This is a constitutionally mandated program,” Mr. Baker said. “I certainly appreciate the difficult times his budget is in, but it is important to remember that the equalization is just that, a constitutionally mandated program.”
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

I has OIL lol@wlz
    In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris
      I has OIL lol@wlz
      It's interesting you raise that point a few weeks remove of asking us to destroy that industry as a "sacrifice" for Canada.

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

I think canda should be divided into eastern and wester Canada, and make Quebeck an EU member, we Euro's don't mind supporting states with Union Euro's I mean why do you think we let eastern Europe in (except for all the cheap prostitutes ).
        Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
        The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
        The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

It's interesting you raise that point a few weeks remove of asking us to destroy that industry as a "sacrifice" for Canada.

My proposal was a bit more moderate, I was merely suggesting to keep production at the actual level.

Comment

My proposal was a bit more moderate, I was merely suggesting to keep production at the actual level.
              The growth is what is driving the economy, which is not what you understood.

Comment

The economy can grow with oil production stagnating, you clown.

Comment

The economy can grow with oil production stagnating, you clown.
                  You don't understand this at all. I'm tired of trying to explain this to somebody who cannot think in any critical fashion.

What is currently driving the economy of the west is the oil industry. Directly and indirectly.

You halt any future development, and literally hundreds of billions of dollars that were to be injected into the economy go elsewhere, outside of Alberta and outside of Canada.

Energy is the engine of growth in western Canada. You halt the growth of energy, you halt the growth of the economy. Then everybody spirals into a massive recession, all for less than 0.1% of the world's greenhouse gases.

It's a demonstrably stupid plan, and it was voted down by Canadians in the election. Time to move on and admit it was stupid.

Comment

So Ontario gets equalization for the first time - that's still less than the 8 times that Alberta has gotten equalization payments

And as for the energy industry, they are starting to fall too due to the rapidly declining price of oil and natural gas (admittedly from record price levels to more moderate price levels).

Comment

So Canada is going from a country whose wealth was based on a diverse set of economic activities to a commodities export model like Russia. Nice.
                      If you don't like reality, change it! me
                      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Sharpe
                        So Ontario gets equalization for the first time - that's still less than the 8 times that Alberta has gotten equalization payments
                        It would've gotten it quite a few times, but each time the formula was re-worked so Ontario wouldn't (particularly in the late 1970s).

What years did Alberta receive equalization?

And as for the energy industry, they are starting to fall too due to the rapidly declining price of oil and natural gas (admittedly from record price levels to more moderate price levels).
                        Yes, which is precisely why the last thing we need is crazy environmental controls like what Oncle Boris wants.

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
                          So Canada is going from a country whose wealth was based on a diverse set of economic activities to a commodities export model like Russia. Nice.
                          The rest of the economy hasn't gone anywhere, GePap.

It's still there. Recall that some of the strongest world banks now come from Canada, and the IT/computer industry in Canada is very strong as well.

It's just being overshadowed by the trillions of dollars in energy which is propping up the rest of the economy. If the US had more oil, you guys wouldn't be in the recession you're in. Energy is what's keeping Canada's head above the water.

Comment

What years did Alberta receive equalization?
                            1957 to 1964 - the first 8 years of the equalization program (would have received it before hand too if equalization existed before then).

Yeah, Ontario would have probably received equalization from 1979 to 1982 if they hadn't changed the formula from average of all 10 provinces to the average of the 5 main provinces - but it is bad enough with Quebec getting 70% of the total equalization payments.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharpe

1957 to 1964 - the first 8 years of the equalization program (would have received it before hand too if equalization existed before then).
                              Yes, I can see the value of bringing this up. What happened in 57 to 64 is very important to this discussion.

Alberta's gone through very rough bust times since then without a penny of equalization. Including one of the most pronounced bust-times brought on by ridiculously stupid Liberal policy decisions.

Comment

Working...
                              X