Apolyton Recommends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apolyton Recommends

I have two very long flights next week and the week after. I have some ideas of what to take to read, but thought I would ask as well, because I haven't been reading everything like I use to.

So if you were to take 10 books to read in the plane, what would you recommend?

I actually already have a couple of ideas for math/physics/non-novels, but if you want to recommend some of that type please do as well.

Thanks!

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

If you want something easy and enjoyable to read, pick up anything by Christopher Moore. "A Dirty Job" is my personal favorite.
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

As far as Christopher Moore goes, I've heard good things. I've only read Bloodsucking Fiends, but I found it both entertaining and well-written. Some older books I'd recommend are I, Claudius and King Solomon's Mines. And if for some bizarre reason you haven't read any Mark Twain, definitely Twain.
      You've just proven signature advertising works!

Comment

I have read most of Twain.

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
          I have read most of Twain.

JM
          Good on you then.
          You've just proven signature advertising works!

Comment

Great light fiction - Cryptonomicon

Great fiction, period - The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay
            "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

The Bible.
              The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs
                The Bible.
                I have read most (or all) of the Bible, but I agree, that is definitely something I should take.

JM
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
                  Great light fiction - Cryptonomicon

Great fiction, period - The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay
                  I didn't finish the first when it came out, maybe I should try again now?

The second I haven't heard of, will look it up (Will look up the Moore recommendation as well).

JM
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller

I have read most (or all) of the Bible, but I agree, that is definitely something I should take.

JM
                    Oh, you wanted to remain awake during the flights? Nevermind then...

Comment

The International Jew by Henry Ford, the Necronomicon, or Mein Kampf.

Comment

Those'll definitely make it difficult to sleep soundly.

Comment

JM: If you would like a fictional book, one whose movie you may have seen but you didn't read the source material, is "Jurassic Park" by Michael Crichton. The movie is all about Dinosaurs eating people. The book is more about Chaos Theory and the irritating lack of morality by those who chose science over nature. Which is represented in the movie by about 2 minutes of Jeff Goldblum dialogue.

Also, far more people are eaten.
                          "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
                          ^ The Poly equivalent of:
                          "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Master and Commander, Patrick O'Brian
                            Long time member @ Apolyton
                            Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

I have read most of Crichton (well, Crichton that is older than 10 years).

I have heard a lot of Master and Commander, will look it up.

JM
                              Jon Miller-
                              I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Working...
                              X