Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happened to the original declaration of independence?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to the original declaration of independence?

Well Fallout 3 takes place in Washington DC so guess which historical document is the subject of a neat side quest?

Now the kneejerk reaction you may have to my answer is the national archives. That is where the copy that the second continental congress signed. That is the school child answer.... well if they taught U.S. history anymore.

So it got me thinking. Where is the copy sent to England? I looked around a bit and a cursory googling did not get me an answer.

By what process was it actually sent to Britain? Was it given to agents of Britain in the colonies, was a copy sent by ship to England? What is the process that the British got the declaration?

If an "official" copy was sent to Britain or given to British agents in the colonies, where is THAT copy?

I read that a copy was sent to ship by England, but I am not confident of the source.

Original

Three copies to England
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Read the links.

So are the 3 copies on any sort of display, or locked away in some British archive?

Comment

Due to a lack of photocopy machines at the time, several originals were made.

I believe one is safely stored away in Fort Know.

Comment

So, it sounds like the answer to your question is, "In the National Archives in DC". I'd consider that one the original, to the extent there is an original (as we didn't send one directly to England).
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

The Queen has it. She uses it as a stress reliever, packs it into a ball and throws it in the corner when things get on her nerves.

Comment

"We hold three known copies of the declaration - two Dunlap prints and one by Hugh Gaine. All three copies were sent to England by crown servants in the course of their duties and are to be found among the records of the appropriate departments (the Colonial Office and the Admiralty).
              And no, there were no photo copies; but there was certainly a method of printing.
              Ignorant redneck Texans? You make me laugh.

A printing press is a mechanical device for applying pressure to an inked surface resting upon a medium (such as paper or cloth), thereby transferring an image. The systems involved were first assembled in Germany by the goldsmith Johann Gutenberg in ca. 1439.[1] Although both woodblock printing and movable type printing technologies were already developed in ancient China and later Korea in East Asia a few hundred years prior, they did not use a press like that of Gutenberg.

Printing methods based on Gutenberg's printing press spread rapidly throughout first Europe and then the rest of the world. It eventually replaced most versions of block printing, making it the most used format of modern movable type, until being superseded by the advent of offset printing.
              Last edited by SlowwHand; October 29, 2008, 20:01.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Read Pauline Maier's American Scripture. Great book, great discussion of the history of the Declaration, including the ways in which it wasn't very original and the fact that it was largely forgotten -- literally stuck in a drawer (at the State Department) -- for a long while after the Revolution.
                "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
                  Read Pauline Maier's American Scripture. Great book, great discussion of the history of the Declaration, including the ways in which it wasn't very original and the fact that it was largely forgotten -- literally stuck in a drawer (at the State Department) -- for a long while after the Revolution.
                  Ironic, considering its author was our first Secretary of State.

Of course, he was really ticked at the changes made in it by Congress before its passage.

Comment

One would've thought the British would have trashed or burned the copies they received.

Comment

My understanding is that the finalized hand written copy that was physically present at congress and approved by their vote was signed by only John Hancock, it was then sent directly to the printing shop to create the Dunlap broadsheet. That 'original' was lost by the printer immediately after the printing, one of the Dunlap's was sent back to Congress the next day and that copy was signed by the whole congress. So depending on which thing you consider to be the 'original' Declaration of Independence.
                      Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

There was a treasure map cipher on the back of it
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

And I thought that this thread would be a discussion about how the meaning of the declaration has been lost in America for decades now.
                          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Here's what Wiki has to say

Congress issued the Declaration of Independence in several forms. It was initially published as a printed broadside that was widely distributed and read to the public. The most famous version of the Declaration, a signed copy that is usually regarded as the Declaration of Independence, is on display at the National Archives in Washington, D.C. Contrary to popular mythology, Congress did not sign this document on July 4, 1776; it was created after July 19 and was signed by most Congressional delegates on August 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                              There was a treasure map cipher on the back of it
                              Also pirates are magic and VW Bugs can win races.
                              1011 1100
                              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Working...
                              X