I welcome Belarus to the western fold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I welcome Belarus to the western fold

Yet another move away from Russia ever since its "peacekeeping" mission in Georgia.

Belarus Moves Toward Open Economy As IMF Assesses $2 Billion Appeal

MOSCOW -(Dow Jones)- After they appealed for $2 billion from the International Monetary Fund, Belarus' central bankers are raising hopes that the country's government will open the economy up to more foreign investors and loosen the state's tight control.

"Belarus will move toward liberalizing the key economic policies," said the central bank's deputy head, Vasily Matyushevsky, who is meeting with delegates from the IMF.

Foreign investors are now able to own stakes of up to 50% in the country's banks after the government raised the limits in September, and a spokesman for the central bank said this limit could be lifted again shortly.

Belarus has appealed for IMF money in order to add to its foreign currency reserves, which it has burnt through by selling foreign exchange to local companies that need to pay suppliers abroad before getting payments for their exported goods.

"Changing conditions in trade have negatively affected the country's balance of payments," IMF Managing Director Dominique Strauss-Kahn said before the delegation from the fund arrived in Minsk. He added that Belarus is also suffering from the lack of credit available abroad.

Ratings agency Standard & Poor's said in a report earlier this year that the liberalization of Belarus's economy had already begun.

It also said that the country's relatively low government debt - at 18% of gross domestic product - provides some security against the trade deficit that has grown with the cost of imported energy.
    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

More like the western fat fold.

Comment

We'll buy them and sell them to naive belgians 4x more expensively
      Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
      Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
      Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Screw Belarus let them and their dictator rot.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

They're still far behind us in "westernness" and "liberalization".
          Graffiti in a public toilet
          Do not require skill or wit
          Among the **** we all are poets
          Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Seriously - Lukachenko (or whatever he is spelled like) even looks like a mix between Hitler and Stalin. Maybe they did meet after all ? But how... oh well... better not think about it...

Comment

Actually Lukashenko looks like Doctor Phil.

Comment

Maybe brothers ? Or maybe the same persuasive BS´er ?

´Luka, you have got to realize, you have a problem with power´...

Comment

THat's a cool story for a woman... "Uhm yeah we were all drunk... me, Adolf and Joseph. Uhmmm, actually they both had sex with me. Separately of course, I mean... at first. So to tell you the truth darling, I'm not sure who your father is."
                  In da butt.
                  "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                  THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                  "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

That woman could only be Polish, right?
                    I need a foot massage

Comment

Working...
                    X