Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to best shorten the nomination/election process in the US?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to best shorten the nomination/election process in the US?

I'm thinking down to 3 weeks.

Week 1) Nominations

Week 2) Conventions

Week 3) Election

We can do it! Less than a month of this crap.
    Yes, its way too long
    0%
    No, its good
    0%
    Banana! Make it an unending event!
    0%
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Create reality television show where the candidates fight to the death in a haunted house full of snakes.

Comment

Just make me president for life, and TEF vice president for life, and be done with it.
      See what a good problem solver I am?
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

President Slowwhands first act: Walmart will be required to give away shotguns to anyone who asks!

Comment

They do, they're free, they just don't have any.

Comment

Reality show nominations
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Make it so incumbents are actually required to do their jobs for most of their term? (I'm sure if that was they case, they'd make sure to shorten the campaign season somehow.)

Comment

Anything to shorten it. And let's force the candidates to do the public funding. The amout of money OBAMA is wasting every day could be providing health care or food to a lot of poor people.
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Return to the Roman Gladiatorial Arena.

Dump all the hopefuls for each party into the arena...last man standing gets his/her party's nomination.

Do that for each party running, and once your choices are in, everybody votes by tv remote.

Bang...done in like a weekend.

-=Vel=-
                  The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Re: How to best shorten the nomination/election process in the US?

Originally posted by Lancer
                    I'm thinking down to 3 weeks.

Week 1) Nominations

Week 2) Conventions

Week 3) Election

We can do it! Less than a month of this crap.
                    I can't think of a workable (read: constitutional) way of cutting down on campaigning. Free speech and all that. The same problem keeps coming up to stymie campaign finance reform... I do like the idea of forcing limited public funding for any candidate who can muster X verified signatures.

Week 1: Party Conventions & smear campaigns (err, ads)
                    Week 2: Debates, followed by a Saturday election.

Even better!

-Arrian
                    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

How about votes count double for any candidate who doesn't do a n y t h i n g election related until three weeks before the election.

Or a pass card for doing an intern or something. Never having to define 'is'.

Comment

Here's the problem with a short election process.

It takes a ton of money to run for President.

Nowadays, candidates can raise money as they go from primary to primary.

With a compressed election process, candidates will need to have all their money up front. This means either: (a) the candidate must be very wealthy so he/she can finance his/her own campaign, or (b) the candidate must sell out early to as many special interest groups as possible in order to obtain the necessary cash.

Comment

How is (b) any different than we have now though?

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                            Here's the problem with a short election process.

It takes a ton of money to run for President.

Nowadays, candidates can raise money as they go from primary to primary.

With a compressed election process, candidates will need to have all their money up front. This means either: (a) the candidate must be very wealthy so he/she can finance his/her own campaign, or (b) the candidate must sell out early to as many special interest groups as possible in order to obtain the necessary cash.
                            Your first 2 points are related. It takes a ton of money because you have to spend a year and a half campaigning.

Just do your elections the way we do
                            Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

In 20 words or less, what do you do?

Comment

Working...
                              X