No announcement yet.

Why did the DOW gain 889 points today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think there is a significant probability of deflation too.

This would be a function of the money supply shrinking as credit (and thus the money multiplier) reduces due to excess risk aversion.

In this case, dropping the fed funds rate will have the same effect as pushing on a rope.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

This would be a function of the money supply shrinking as credit (and thus the money multiplier) reduces due to excess risk aversion.

In this case, dropping the fed funds rate will have the same effect as pushing on a rope.
      Right, and without analysing the data, seeing the fed make a drastic cut like they are expected to makes me think that they also believe in a high probability of deflation.
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
        I think right now we are seeing a lot of gambling

JM

I thought that's how stock investments usually operate.
        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

The really interesting story today was Volvo. That's where a specific mechanism was active in moving prices, which for a time made Volvo the largest company in the world.
          You mean Volkswagen. Indeed, that was an interesting and funny story that could, in part, move markets.

But the story of bigger magnitude that I have been focusing on is the unwinding of the Yen-Dollar and Yen-Euro carry trade. Yesterday, the Dollar increased 7% versus the Yen. The Euro increased 10% versus the Yen -- truly enormous moves. There was a rumor that the Japanese central bank would lower Japanese interest rates and/or start paying interest on reserves to Japanese banks.

Both of these stories are related to investors getting squeezed out of their investments. In the case of VW, it was hedge funds getting caught in a short squeeze. In the case of the carry trade, it may have been relief after positions were successfully unwound.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS

You mean Volkswagen.
            Damn Swedes look like Germans.
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

It was fun to watch. Never seen anything quite like it.

I wonder how much Porsche will be able to pocket because of this, and who is left holding the bag.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Krazy, did you change professions, or did you just decide to take up something even more convoluted than physics for a hobby?
                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

probably manipulation.

Top % gains of the dow:
                  03/15/1933 62.10 8.26 15.34
                  10/06/1931 99.34 12.86 14.87
                  10/30/1929 258.47 28.40 12.34
                  10/28/2008 9065.12 889.35 11.88
                  09/21/1932 75.16 7.57 11.36
                  10/13/2008 9387.61 936.42 11.08
                  10/21/1987 2027.85 186.84 10.15
                  08/03/1932 58.22 5.06 9.52
                  02/11/1932 78.60 6.80 9.47
                  11/14/1929 217.28 18.59 9.36

Comment

Honestly, falling consumer demand and falling commodity prices will have more to do with the coming deflation.
                    "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                    -Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
                      Krazy, did you change professions, or did you just decide to take up something even more convoluted than physics for a hobby?
                      Quant finance = backup plan. Or at least it was until all the IBs went out of business. Though it looks like most of the hedge funds are running strong.
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Quant finance = backup plan. Or at least it was until all the IBs went out of business. Though it looks like most of the hedge funds are running strong.
                        I suspect that won't remain true for very long. People are already pulling out money, which forces them to sell assets in today's depressed market.
                        "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                        -Joan Robinson

Comment

No offence, but I suspect you're talking out of your ass.
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

No offence, but I suspect you're talking out of your ass.
                            Time will tell. I doubt there will be much money to be made in the stock market in the short-run.
                            -Joan Robinson

Comment

Why not? If anything, increased volatility means a greater equity premium.
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                              X