Two dumb things about banks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two dumb things about banks.

First, is my bank's restrictive hours - 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM except on Fridays when they're open until 6:00 PM.

Those hours are restrictive because many, many people do not get off work during the week until 5:00 PM. Hello! Did the people who determine my bank's hours not realize that people work during the day?

Second, is the tedious task of filling out the stupid information slip when you want to make a counter deposit. Seriously - everything else with my bank is modernized for convenience, such as electronic direct deposit with my paycheck and online bill pay. Why the hell can't banks figure out a way to verify the legitimacy of counter deposits without doing it the old fashioned way?

They already have my address and account numbers so why should I have to write out this information for every counter deposit I want to make that is not tied to my paycheck (got direct deposit with paycheck set up)?

Banks in general need to expand their week hours to 7:00 PM so that people who work for a living can get errands at their bank done. They also need to make counter deposits more convenient and less tedious.
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Counter? Deposit?

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

You do realize that ATMs take deposits, right?
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

You could only come up with 2. I am disappointed.

Comment

That's why they're called BANKER'S HOURS

Seriously though if those are the hours your bank keeps these days, switch banks. My bank is open at least to 7 p.m. Tuesday - Friday and later one day.

Our ATM's don't take cash deposits.

In the back of your checkbook you should have preprinted deposit slips where you just enter the amount..............

I deposit everthing into checking because it's easier and if I need to move it to any other account, I just do that on-line with a click of a button.

Welcome to the 21st Century.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

An even dumber thing is that Internet transfers between two banks only take place during business hours, despite that no human action is involved at the bank. So if I transfer money from my own bank to my wife's VISA card account on a saturday, none of us will have access to the money until monday. And the bank keeps the interest for the time my money is lost in cyberspace.
            So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
            Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

I find it funny that "your checkbook" and "Welcome to the 21st Century." occurs together in rah's post.

In the civilized part of the world nobody uses checks any more, but rather online banking.
              http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

Originally posted by rah
                Our ATM's don't take cash deposits.
                Why not?
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

That's a good question.

I've been with a bank for 10 years who doesn't even have any branches. I use ATMs and online banking only. When the bank opens doesn't matter to me.

I make all kinds of deposits at ATMs...Canadian cash, American cash, cheques...anythin.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                  Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I once smeared my poo into an envelope and slid it into the ATM. They gave me credit for 2.38$

Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Cash deposits increase the chances of fraud, both on the behalf of the customer and on the behalf of the employee opening up the envelope.

I agree with rah - just change banks (you presumably changed when you moved, right? Or are you in one of those evil national banks?). Or use someone like USAA or Schwab or ING - an internet bank where you mail your stuff in (with free envelopes!) and get free atm withdrawls at any ATM (up to a certain cost/atm usually, but it's usually generous).

Also, the counter deposit form is to ensure the data is entered correctly - less chance of error if the teller verifies (in writing) both the name and the account number (double verification). Also leaves a written trail if you have questions about the deposit.
                      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Because the ATM machine is run by a company not owned by the bank so the bank doesn't trust who is emptying the machine.

And yes I use a checkbook just to verify my balance online. I'm down to 2 checks a month due to online bill paying not being available for those 2 items. I think i wrote out less than 36 checks last year. Compared to what I did last century, this is a big improvement. SO THERE.
                        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Automatic payroll deposit. Pay bills online.
                          I rarely go to a bank.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Thue
                            In the civilized part of the world nobody uses checks any more, but rather online banking.
                            What about when you have to give someone you know money for something, but its a bit more than the cash you usually have on hand (like say paying them back for concert tickets or something).
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                              Cash deposits increase the chances of fraud, both on the behalf of the customer and on the behalf of the employee opening up the envelope.

I agree with rah - just change banks (you presumably changed when you moved, right? Or are you in one of those evil national banks?). Or use someone like USAA or Schwab or ING - an internet bank where you mail your stuff in (with free envelopes!) and get free atm withdrawls at any ATM (up to a certain cost/atm usually, but it's usually generous).

Also, the counter deposit form is to ensure the data is entered correctly - less chance of error if the teller verifies (in writing) both the name and the account number (double verification). Also leaves a written trail if you have questions about the deposit.
                              My cash deposits are very very very rare and usually small.

Who doesn't pay electronically now? You guys are ancient. Move up to the 21st century.
                              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                              X