McCain Goes Too Far In Attacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McCain Goes Too Far In Attacks

You can attack him on economics. You can attack him on healthcare. But it's a low blow to question a man's loyalty to his baseball team.

Campaigning in Pennsylvania, John McCain suggested Barack Obama was flip-flopping on his choice of World Series teams.

McCain Hits Obama on Baseball Loyalties
    By Elisabeth Bumiller
    John and Cindy McCain during a rally in Bensalem, Pa. (Photo: Stephen Crowley/The New York Times)
    BENSALEM, Pa.—John McCain has hit Barack Obama on taxes, the economy, national security, health care, earmarks, the mortgage crisis and his association with a 1960s radical. Now, Mr. McCain has gone after what he suggested was Mr. Obama’s flip-flopping on his choice of World Series teams, the Philadelphia Phillies and the Tampa Bay Rays.

“I heard that Senator Obama was showing some love to the Rays down in Tampa Bay yesterday,’’ Mr. McCain told a modest crowd at a manufacturing plant on Tuesday morning here in this battleground state vital to his election on Nov. 4, as is Florida. “Now, I’m not dumb enough to get mixed up in a World Series between swing states, but I think I may have detected a little pattern with Senator Obama.’’

As the crowd booed, Mr. McCain added: “It’s pretty simple really. When he’s campaigning in Philadelphia, he roots for the Phillies, and when he’s campaigning in Tampa Bay, he shows love to the Rays. It’s kind of like the way he campaigns on tax cuts, but then votes for tax increases after he’s elected.

The remark about baseball loyalties somewhat echoed a statement from the Democratic National Committee last week about Mr. McCain’s running mate, Gov. Sarah Palin.

For the record, Mr. Obama is a Chicago White Sox fan, but has temporarily switched to the Phillies for the Series. On Monday, he was endorsed at a rally in Tampa by six players for the Rays — outfielders Jonny Gomes and Carl Crawford, and Fernando Perez, the pitchers David Price and Edwin Jackson, and Cliff Floyd, the designated hitter.

Mr. Obama shook their hands, hugged them, smiled and offered: “I’ve said from the beginning that I am a unity candidate, bringing people together. So when you see a White Sox Fan showing love to the Rays, and the Rays showing some love back – you know we are on to something right here.”

Tommy Vietor, an Obama spokesman, called Mr. McCain’s criticism ridiculous. “I guess these are the kinds of attacks you make when your campaign has conceded that if you talk about the economy, you’ll lose,” Mr. Vietor said in a statement. “Senator Obama said he’s rooting for the Phillies. Yesterday he said nice things about the members of the team who came out to support him, but that doesn’t change the fact that Tampa Bay bounced his White Sox out of the playoffs.”

The stop in Bensalem was Mr. McCain’s first of three today in Pennsylvania, where public polls show Mr. Obama with a double-digit lead. But the McCain campaign continues to say that its internal polls show the race in Pennsylvania much closer and that the state remains crucial to their election strategy.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Imran Obama.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I don't know much about baseball.

+1
      Blah

Comment

Well he did kinda flip flop on the baseball loyalties. Have to root for one, not both there Senator. Can't be like Slowwhand and root for every team under the sun.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Sorry Imran, Sloww has you dead to rights here... no amount of dodging will save you now
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

He should have stuck to the White Sox and said, may the best team win, and may it be yours. Loyalty counts among baseball fans.

Well, most of us.
            Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Yeah, Hillary always pissed me off by changing her loyalties from being a cubs fan when she became a senator from NY.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Of course, McCain seems to conveniently forget his own case of sports pandering by telling a Pittsburgh news outlet that he gave his Vietnamese captors the names of the Steelers defensive line, when in his own autobiography he claims it was the Packers.
                Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

There's also the issue of Palin doing the exact same thing Obama did.
                  I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                  I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                    Well he did kinda flip flop on the baseball loyalties. Have to root for one, not both there Senator. Can't be like Slowwhand and root for every team under the sun.
                    (a) Obama told the Phillies he was routing for them. He told the Rays, he was giving them love -- but he said nothing about routing for them.

(b) BTW: Palin told Floridians she was routinng for the Rays, told Pennsylvanians she was routing for the Phillies, and told people in New England she was routing for the Red Sox. That's a flip-flop-flap.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                      Sorry Imran, Sloww has you dead to rights here... no amount of dodging will save you now
                      Please explain how. I, after all, don't back every team from a state. I tend to stick to one per league or conference.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                        (a) Obama told the Phillies he was routing for them. He told the Rays, he was giving them love -- but he said nothing about routing for them.
                        "Routing for them"?

Obama's rooting is obviously pandering. You can't root for one team and show some love to another? WTF kind of rooting is that?

(b) BTW: Palin told Floridians she was routinng for the Rays, told Pennsylvanians she was routing for the Phillies, and told people in New England she was routing for the Red Sox. That's a flip-flop-flap.
                        She's a woman .

Comment

On the issue of sports and politics... the onion is ahead of the game: (quip at the end)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                            Obama's rooting is obviously pandering. You can't root for one team and show some love to another? WTF kind of rooting is that?
                            It may or may not be pandering, but you can show love to one team and root for another. If the Steelers donate a large sum of money to St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital, I will show them much love, but I will still root for the Bengals to win. Granted, the concept of the Bengals winning is beyond most people's ability to grasp, but they make 'em special in Southwest Ohio.
                            You've just proven signature advertising works!

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                              You can't pander to Sox fans. We read through that bull****.
                              "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
                              ^ The Poly equivalent of:
                              "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Working...
                              X