Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You have to have it in order to get it.
    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

PNAS is the question, "Yes, please." is the answer.
      The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Okay, I'll be the nice one, sort of. BlackCat, here's a hint: it'd be a better joke if the acronym was PNIS. It only works as is because English has such screwy and variable pronunciation.
        1011 1100
        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
          hint: it'd be a better joke if the acronym was PNIS.
          False; it's precisely the novel pronunciation that makes it funny. Just as the Simpsons successfully exploited the hidden humor between "party" and "partAY," PNAS is infinitely funnier than PNIS. In fact, I sincerely hope the former will proliferate in the public lexicon for our listening pleasure.
          Unbelievable!

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
            I gave a talk a few years ago on increasing the fundamental internal (quantum) efficiency of organic LEDs.

This part brings me back:

To their surprise, the chemists found that the new material was emitting electrons in two different energy states -- one called a singlet state, and the other a triplet state. Both energy states are useful for solar cell applications, and the triplet state lasts much longer than the singlet state.

Electrons in the singlet state stayed free for up to 12 picoseconds, or trillionths of a second -- not unusual compared to some solar cell materials. But electrons in the triplet state stayed free 7 million times longer -- up to 83 microseconds, or millionths of a second.

When they deposited the molecules in a thin film, similar to how they might be arranged in an actual solar cell, the triplet states lasted even longer: 200 microseconds.

"This long-lived excited state should allow us to better manipulate charge separation," Chisholm said.
            Those Chemists are retards if they forgot about singlet/triplet states...
            You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius871

What, are you suggesting southern Europeans are less likely to drink?

Yes, southern Europeans don't drink very much. All those pansies who come here on erasmus are dumbfound when they see (mostly students) people drinking up north

Also, it's easy to get them really drunk and get them to do embarassing stuff
              "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
              "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

It's the german ERASMUS students I have problems trying to drink under the table. The French/Italians/Spanish are wimps and seem to get drunk on fumes fer christs sake...
                You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Surely at least Greeks are the exception...
                  Unbelievable!

Comment

Never met a Greek ERASMUS student up at Durham, probably because it's too cold for them :shrug:

Comment

What about them wudka-slurping easterners? Does the Erasmus program even go out that far?
                      Unbelievable!

Comment

After checking Wikipedia it seems to be most of the EU, or atleast those countries that are part of the Lifelong Learning Programme 2007–2013

Edit: Screw the formatting

Comment

False; it's precisely the novel pronunciation that makes it funny. Just as the Simpsons successfully exploited the hidden humor between "party" and "partAY," PNAS is infinitely funnier than PNIS. In fact, I sincerely hope the former will proliferate in the public lexicon for our listening pleasure.
                          First of all, that joke, like that episode (with the exception of Rover Hendrix), was not particularly funny. Second, that minor joke hinged on the obnoxiousness of a trendy, preexisting pronunciation. Nobody talks about his PNAS in these parts...well, I've never heard a guy talk willingly in depth about his PNIS either, but my point remains: the analogous base for such a joke simply does not exist. The joke only works by similarity to the private part, and thus the humor is necessarily proportionate to the degree of similarity.
                          1011 1100
                          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

God what a buzzkill you are, that's too bad.
                            Unbelievable!

Comment

God what a buzzkill you are, that's too bad.
                              Yeah, he's almost being a PNAS.

ACK!
                              Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Working...
                              X