Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When Obama is President should he make it illegal to drive slow in the fast lane?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When Obama is President should he make it illegal to drive slow in the fast lane?

Comments?
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Do whatever it is the Germans do (with regards to traffic laws).
    "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
    -Joan Robinson

Comment

No. Speed limits and their enforcement have traditionally been handled by the states.

Federalism.

BTW: The only two state crimes that should be punishable by death are: (a) driving too slow in the fast land and (b) cutting in front of somebody and then slowing down.

Comment

Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I know what I talking about. Don't interrupt me with facts!

Comment

The Feds have very little authority over roads and highways. Even when they set national policies, they can't make the laws. Instead, what they do is tie federal highway funds to mandates to pass laws the Feds want. So the national maximum speed limit was not passed by the Feds, but by every single state that wanted Fed highway money.

As far as I know, it is against the law to drive slow in the left lane. The maximum speed is still the maximum speed, however.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Slow = less than 75 mph
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

He should use the interstate commerce clause to claim that state speed limits restrict traffic.

It would be a much more reasonable use of that than most of the other ways it's been used.
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

When Obama is President...

"My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                  "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Dude, that was sort of the point.
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                      No. Speed limits and their enforcement have traditionally been handled by the states.

Federalism.
                      Ever heard of the Commerce Clause, mister smarty-pants-lawyer-guy?
                      Unbelievable!

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                        BTW: The only two state crimes that should be punishable by death are: (a) driving too slow in the fast land and (b) cutting in front of somebody and then slowing down.
                        QFMFT Especially the second. Also:

Not using turn signals when turning/changing lanes.

All states/municipalities must use reflective paint when painting lines on the road. I'm not sure if it is a Memphis thing or a Tennessee thing or a Southern thing, but you can't see the F-ing lines at night, especially if it is raining.
                        You've just proven signature advertising works!

Comment

Its actually a violation to drive slow in the fast lane in Illinois. IIRC the law makes no mention of the actual speed limits, but states the violation is to impede the traffic flow in the lane.
                          "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved - loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves."--Victor Hugo

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                            He should use the interstate commerce clause to claim that state speed limits restrict traffic.

It would be a much more reasonable use of that than most of the other ways it's been used.
                            True. They used the interstate commerce clause to prosecute Angel Raich. She grew marijuana on her property in conformity with the state medical marijuana laws, and was not selling it to anybody. But somehow, intrastate non-commercial activity was covered by the interstate commerce clause.

It takes a Supreme Court justice to completely pervert the Constitution that badly. We should have abolished the institution after Dred Scott.
                            John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

But somehow, intrastate non-commercial activity was covered by the interstate commerce clause.

It has been since the 1930s.
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                              X