Ari can't find the words to say it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ari can't find the words to say it

So you're trying to explain something simple or tell a short story or something, but people keep interrupting you constantly. You have to answer one question after another. Like, someone says "but we still haven't decided what colour it would be" and you answer "hrrrrrh, I don't care anymore". You press up the back of your tongue and make this throaty growl sound, about half a second to a second long, with your mouth open to express your frustration. I think in technical terms it's a uvular trill, but being a Finn I can't tell whether it's voiced or not.

Does this sound have a name (other than the technical one)? If there isn't, would you call it a growl? Is it used universally to express frustration?
    This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

I call it weird.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Re: Ari can't find the words to say it

Originally posted by Ari Rahikkala

Does this sound have a name (other than the technical one)? If there isn't, would you call it a growl? Is it used universally to express frustration?
      Gag reflex?

Does it sound like hmpffphh...maybe a little like a mouthful of meat soaked in thick creme sauce?
      Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Argh.

Hrm.

I can't think of the word, no.
        B♭3

Comment

It could be a growl, but in your case it's probably the Laplandian Death Grunt. As you are well aware in your (rare) non-violent episodes, this subtle threat is only uttered in a few instances where an Evil Finn has been mildly irritated by the wrong shade of new drapes clashing with the couch or other trivial matters such the loss of an arm or leg due to basic training in the armed forces. Since other Finns have developed a natural defence to this the only way to know for certain is if a non-Finn in the vicinity has had their innards violently splashed all over the walls. Have you noticed any new stains in your carpet or missing foreign aquaintances?
          I'm consitently stupid- Japher
          I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by Theben
            It could be a growl, but in your case it's probably the Laplandian Death Grunt. As you are well aware in your (rare) non-violent episodes, this subtle threat is only uttered in a few instances where an Evil Finn has been mildly irritated by the wrong shade of new drapes clashing with the couch or other trivial matters such the loss of an arm or leg due to basic training in the armed forces. Since other Finns have developed a natural defence to this the only way to know for certain is if a non-Finn in the vicinity has had their innards violently splashed all over the walls. Have you noticed any new stains in your carpet or missing foreign aquaintances?

Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Working...
            X