Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much U do I need to build an atomic weapon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much U do I need to build an atomic weapon?

From cnn: http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/eu...ef=mpstoryview

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Enough processed uranium to make six nuclear weapons was secretly transported thousands of miles by truck, rail and ship on a monthlong trip from a research reactor in Budapest, Hungary, to a facility in Russia so it could be more closely protected against theft, U.S. officials revealed Wednesday.

The shipment, conducted under tight secrecy and security, included a three-week trip by cargo ship through the Mediterranean, up the English Channel and the North Sea to Russia's Arctic seaport of Murmansk, the only port Russia allows for handling nuclear material.

The 13 radiation-proof casks, each weighing 17,000 pounds, arrived by rail at the secure nuclear material facility at Mayak in Siberia on Wednesday, carrying 341 pounds of weapons-usable uranium, said Kenneth Baker, a National Nuclear Security Administration official who oversaw the complex project.
    As one pound= 0.45359237 kilograms, and U density is 19.1 g/cm3, looks like I need 1351 cm3 ( a sphere with a 13.7 cm diameter).

Thanks cnn! Would be nuclear terrorists love this kind of information!

As if that kind of information isn't readily available all over the place.

Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
    We've got both kinds

Comment

lets face it anyone with a physics degree could work out what one would need to make a bomb, actually making it though is a little bit harder
      Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
      Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Kmart is to have a blue light special this weekend.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I've got my coupon!
            Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH
              As if that kind of information isn't readily available all over the place.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat_Man
              Why are you linking to a description of a plutonium weapon when it's uranium which has gone missing?
              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Killing it is the new killing it
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Missing weapons-grade uranium is much worse than missing plutonium, by the way (design of a uranium bomb is ridiculously simple compared to plutonium bomb). Though I note that the article is a bit unclear on specifics. It says that the uranium is "weapons usable" but not its actual purity (percentage of U-235).
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Both end in ium.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I can't think of any famous physicist born in Texas. You may just have demonstrated why.
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                      I can't think of any famous physicist born in Texas. You may just have demonstrated why.
                      How about Smith & Wesson?

Comment

I don't get how two Massachusetts-born gunsmiths have anything to do with Texas or physics.
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                        X