Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it against the rules to disscus religious rituals on poly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nikolai

Second temple. Don't know what took me.
    You must be one of those messianic jews that want to build the 3rd temple

Actually I'd like it to be built. But can't see it happening without a total war on Islam, so that isn't high in my priority list.

Comment

To further clarify as it does not seem to have been stated.

Animal sacraficed was practiced virtually everywhere at the time. Actually I have no need to use the qualifier virtually. Animal sacrafice was practiced everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirotnikov

Actually I'd like it to be built. But can't see it happening without a total war on Islam, so that isn't high in my priority list.
        My mother's clear of any Jewish ancestry I'm afraid. So I have to be content with plain old regular Christianity.

I think there will be a third temple though. Perhaps you even know why.
        Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
        I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
        Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirotnikov

Would it have to be built on the exact same site? Why?

Was there only one Jewish temple prior to the destruction of the temple of Jerusalem? What did the Jews of Egypt, Greece, and Asia minor do about offering sacrifice for atonement? A Jew living in Corinth couldn't just drop down to Jerusalem to offer a sacrifice every time he committed a sin.
          "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Would it have to be built on the exact same site? Why?
            uhm, yeah
            cause it's supposedly god's chosen place.

and there is really no where else it can be built without splitting up the nation.

obviously it's not realistic.

Was there only one Jewish temple prior to the destruction of the temple of Jerusalem?
            theoretically yes. until a certain time it was ok to do sacrifices in your back yard.

that was cancelled. it was said that sacrifice is more of a symbolic thing, and many of the prophets talk about how sacrifice is just symbolic and the real test is obeying civil law and justice. So it was limited to the temple only.

The Israelites though, I think, continued with other places of worship after the split, for a while.

I do believe that did not exist during 2nd temple, but I don't remember well.

Also many jews/hebrews used to practice other religions, and had false temples to other gods.

What did the Jews of Egypt, Greece, and Asia minor do about offering sacrifice for atonement?
            Well there wasn't a major jewish settlement there that held religious ceremonies. The only jews that were there were part of the 10 tribes that were kicked out by the Assyrians, and they were already less tied to the central temple.

A Jew living in Corinth couldn't just drop down to Jerusalem to offer a sacrifice every time he committed a sin.
            Well
            a) supposedly some who could immigrated back
            b) most did not return and assimilated / disappeared.
            That's why you now have people in India, Swaziland and China who are believed to somehow related to the lost tribes.

Also, the concept of sacrifice/religious act as a means to be forgiven for a sin is not really part of jewish faith.

Comment

The idea of the sacrafice was more about personal loss then appeasing god. I'll relay a story from the Torah, properly edited so it makes sense without the context of it.

One of the prophets instructed one of Israels kings on G-Ds behalf to go kill a wicked cannanite king. The Hebrew king does not do it, but takes the cannanite hostage instead. The Hebrew king later goes back to the prophet with the captive enemy king and says "Don't worry, i'll do the sin sacrafices", the prophet is rather peeved and kills the king on the captive foreign king and chews out the Israel king saying "Do you think the smell of a burning cow is pleasing to god!?!? He wants you to obey the law!"

The idea that sin is a "thing", like some sort of sticky muck which sticks to you and you wipe away with a sacrafice(or eating a waffer) is not in Judaism. This is not a criticism of other religions, it is simply explaining the Jewish view. Sinning is doing something bad. Judaism says if you do something bad, make restitution to the victims and don't do it again.

Comment

Actually I've never heard of a religion where eating a waffer clears you of sins, can you elaborate?
                Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Working...
                X