No announcement yet.

Will Obama Be Assassinated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hate to be insensitive, but there would be a bright side - a national tragedy of this magnitude would give Biden (or Pelosi if god forbid Biden's taken out too) a huge popular mandate to pass and implement every measure Obama ever promised and then some, whereas Obama would have been lucky to get even a quarter of what he promises through even a non-filibuster-proof Senate.

Remember all the "do it for Paul" fervor in the campaign after Wellstone's death? (Yeah I know, Coleman ended up winning but it was still pretty powerful.) Imagine that dynamic tenfold pushing through a New New Deal that Obama could never have managed himself. He would have been a more historically significant figure dead than alive, much like the oft-noted relationship between the emotional shock of JFK's death and the Civil Rights Acts of 1964 & 1968, and even Great Society though to a lesser extent.

Just a thought.
    Unbelievable!

Comment

Nazi and Christian hardly can describe a Christian. But I wouldn't be surprised if some nutjob tried to off him, unfortunately.
      Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
      I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
      Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Well in the US there is a small movement of extreme right-wing Christians collectively known as, "Christian Identity." Their advocates believe that Christianity is a white religion and they generally overlap with Neo-Nazi groups. It's an insignificant movement.

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
          Tasteless.
          The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs
            Tasteless.
            What, it's not like everyone's been cracking jokes and knee-slapping. What's the problem with a serious discussion?

Would it be as utterly reprehensible if someone discussed the effect of McCain's death resulting in a Palin presidency? Oh wait nevermind, people think, speak, and type about that day in and day out. My bad.
            Unbelievable!

Comment

I think so. I've lived through so many assassination, I'm very pessimistic on this point. All our good leaders are targetted.

We'll need another verse for "Abraham, Martin & John."

Comment

Originally posted by Riesstiu IV
                Well in the US there is a small movement of extreme right-wing Christians collectively known as, "Christian Identity." Their advocates believe that Christianity is a white religion and they generally overlap with Neo-Nazi groups. It's an insignificant movement.
                Incredible. Did they forget that Jesus was a Jew?
                Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Bill Ayers.
                  Long time member @ Apolyton
                  Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Nikolai:
                    No. Some think that 'Jews' today are in fact the children of Satan, and that they are in a sense the 'real' Jews, i.e. the truly chosen people of God, as are all white Christians, etc. I'm not too sure about the specifics.
                    "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

I've come across one of these people, otherwise seemed like a nice enough fellow but the social/religious views were just insane - Jews should be exterminated and blacks "corrected" etc... It definitely sounded like they could just assassinate someone like Obama

Comment

I hope not, but I can't imagine that there won't be an attempt or twenty. And I completely fail to see how this thread is in any way tasteless. It is a legitimate concern, and is being discussed in a serious manner, not "ha ha, wouldn't that be cool." Also, Darius has a very good point about the hypocrisy angle.
                        You've just proven signature advertising works!

Comment

Originally posted by Darius871

What, it's not like everyone's been cracking jokes and knee-slapping. What's the problem with a serious discussion?

Would it be as utterly reprehensible if someone discussed the effect of McCain's death resulting in a Palin presidency? Oh wait nevermind, people think, speak, and type about that day in and day out. My bad.
                          There's a large difference between speculating on McCain's proven track record of poor health and very real possibility of dying while in office because of it, leading to a potential Palin presidency, and speculating on the active, intentional murder of a presidential candidate. One weighs heavily on a candidate's fitness for the presidency in the first place, and the other is utterly abhorrent in US politics, healthy candidate or not.
                          The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

taboo?
                            Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                            GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

I'd put the likelihood of this as significantly higher than the average president.

White racist with a gun isn't exactly unheard of in US politics.
                              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Killing it is the new killing it
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I don't get why this is a taboo subject. It is going to be a very real danger in an Obama presidency.

Who were the last few "transformational" figures in US presidential politics? Reagan and the Kennedy brothers. Two for 3 with a pretty good shot at the third.

Hopefully security around Presidents and candidates has improved to the point where any plots will be unlikely to succeed.
                                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                                Killing it is the new killing it
                                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                                X