Will Obama Be Assassinated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Wezil
    Most players were in that position. I have celebs on my list I would love to see live to 120....but they won't.

Death is a taboo subject for some people. I've never been big on euphemisms so in my world people don't "pass away" or "move on" - they die. The subject doesn't bother or distress me. This was why I agree with NYE in that some people would find the Pool distasteful however. It's a subject many try to avoid.
    I don't mean to continue any threadjack, but....

Maybe next year you should start a second game then - a "Live Pool" wherein we only pick people over eighty or eighty five and get points if they don't die during the year. Or would that be distasteful as well?
    If at first you don't succeed, take the bloody hint and give up.

Comment

• Originally posted by embalmer42

I don't mean to continue any threadjack, but....

Maybe next year you should start a second game then - a "Live Pool" wherein we only pick people over eighty or eighty five and get points if they don't die during the year. Or would that be distasteful as well?
      I like that idea much better than the current Dead Pool.

Comment

He's allowed to find it distasteful. If he wants to use it as a whipping boy I would expect him to get his facts straight first.

Players that picked Obama have done what those that answered "yes" to this thread question have done - They made a prediction. They aren't encouraging, supporting, enabling or even hoping - just predicting.
        Good lord. Had you not picked up the gauntlet that wasn't thrown, this would have began and ended in the same post.

Yes I do find it distasteful... you could've interpreted "abhorrent" as "very distasteful" if you so chose but I doubt that would've rubbed any more lightly on your sensitive skin. You can swap "predicting" and "betting" in many cases when you're arguing semantics too.

Anyway, do what you want. You won't listen to me and vice-versa so whatever gives you your jollies knock yerself out.
        I'm consitently stupid- Japher
        I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

He's allowed to find it distasteful. If he wants to use it as a whipping boy I would expect him to get his facts straight first.
          His facts are straight.

You're gaming, ie betting, on people to die. No money needs change hands to be betting.

That is exactly what he accused your game of doing.

No, this can be and is IMO a serious discussion. Something abhorrent would be something like betting on his death, like the Celebrity Dead Pool.

Players that picked Obama have done what those that answered "yes" to this thread question have done - They made a prediction. They aren't encouraging, supporting, enabling or even hoping - just predicting.
          And turning death into a game.

Originally posted by Wezil
          Most players were in that position. I have celebs on my list I would love to see live to 120....but they won't.

Death is a taboo subject for some people. I've never been big on euphemisms so in my world people don't "pass away" or "move on" - they die. The subject doesn't bother or distress me. This was why I agree with NYE in that some people would find the Pool distasteful however. It's a subject many try to avoid.
          You're right death is a taboo subject. Turning it into something you casually predict, for points, smacks a little too much of sitting back in a chair and hitting the kill switch from a Predator drone and watching the missile half a world away slam into a building filled with people. Real people.

I'm sorry, but I do not welcome your nintendoization of death, no matter how justified you feel your position is.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither

nintendoization

word!
            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Actually. speaking only for Christians, we're not really afraid of dying. Some believe that's just The End. The thought creeps me out.
              It might be a good idea to keep the concept, although admittedly on bazarro world, to have a Live Pool. Two leagues.
              Let embalmer set it up, he came up with it.
              Last edited by SlowwHand; October 30, 2008, 01:22.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

...nintendoization of death...
                up up down down left right left right b a start

Immortality!

Comment

• NYE - How nice of you to correct his vocab. He used the word "betting" not "gaming". Look up the difference.
                  "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                  "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Tiger Guy - The gauntlet was your untruthful characterization.

Originally posted by Theben

Anyway, do what you want. You won't listen to me and vice-versa so whatever gives you your jollies knock yerself out.
                    Can we do this for the next 2 months? It will give me a new thread to post in. :desire:
                    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Death is a taboo subject for some people. I've never been big on euphemisms so in my world people don't "pass away" or "move on" - they die.
                      That's a euphemism where I come from. We normally say that someoned "snuffed it" or "karked".

This is ghey. When did I become a bloody emperor.
                      Only feebs vote.

Comment

• Probably when you were barfing up your whining in this thread.
                        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowwHand
                          Probably when you were barfing up your whining in this thread.
                          Don't you have Mexicans to shoot, or something?
                          Only feebs vote.

Comment

His facts are straight.

You're gaming, ie betting, on people to die. No money needs change hands to be betting.

That is exactly what he accused your game of doing.

No, this can be and is IMO a serious discussion. Something abhorrent would be something like betting on his death, like the Celebrity Dead Pool.

And turning death into a game.

You're right death is a taboo subject. Turning it into something you casually predict, for points, smacks a little too much of sitting back in a chair and hitting the kill switch from a Predator drone and watching the missile half a world away slam into a building filled with people. Real people.

I'm sorry, but I do not welcome your nintendoization of death, no matter how justified you feel your position is.
                            Your sense of piety in all honor, but i think you are making too much of it:

All the world´s a stage...

Now ´the game´ is to guess who is gonna leave the stage, before this act is over (or somesuch). We are all gonna die. If Obama himself asked me, i´d tell him the same - straight in the face: ´Dude, either you dissappoint your followers, you are gonna end up just like JFK, i fear´. That thought actually emerged to me, even before i saw this thread.

My dad had bad cancer two years ago, and we were all (including him) guessing wether he was gonna make it or not. I said he would - i lost. But that doesnt mean, i ´nintendorized´ his death. Sometimes people just worry, you know ?

Comment

• How would you have felt if people set up a betting pool as to when you father died? The Celebrity Dead Pool is in exceedingly poor taste.
                              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Well, yeah, okay, maybe - but this thread isnt.

Comment

Working...
                                X