McCain asked Russia to fund his campaign

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McCain asked Russia to fund his campaign

The Russian mission to the UN in New York says it has turned down a request from John McCain to help fund his presidential campaign.

Ambassador to the UN Vitaly Churkin and others received standard mail-outs asking them to help "stop the Democrats from seizing control of Washington".

Spokesmen for the McCain campaign and the mission accepted the letters were "a computer error".

Mr McCain has been a strong opponent of Russia on human rights and Georgia.

Brian Rogers, a spokesman for the McCain campaign, told the BBC the campaign had not itself received any complaints from the mission and that "it sounds like they're having a little fun at our expense".

"It's just an error," he said.

US presidential candidates are legally barred from accepting foreign donations.

Funding denial

The letter to Mr Churkin has a return form which carries the words: "I am proud to stand with our Republican candidates as the Obama Democrats and their wealthy liberal backers focus their attacks squarely on defeating Republicans and gaining control of our government.

"I want to do all I can to help stop the Democrats from seizing control of Washington and implementing their radically liberal policy for our nation."

The form then has a space for a signature over the typed name, Vitaly Churkin.

On the copy the Russians released, the space is unsigned.

Ruslan Bakhtin, a spokesman for Russia's UN mission, said: "It's evident that [the letter] was a mistake. It happens."

But he also stressed: "Russian authorities are in no way engaged in funding political campaigns or political activities abroad."

Mr McCain has opposed Moscow on a number of measures.

To evade Russia's veto in the UN Security Council he has proposed setting up an alternative body: the League of Democracies.

During the Russia-Georgia conflict this summer, he said: "We are all Georgians now."

He has also proposed throwing Russia out of the G8 over its human rights record.
    Probably a Palin idea, since she is so close to Russia

Blah

Good find.

Probably a computer error...probably innocent, but an interesting comedy of errors, no doubt.

Here's something I don't get though, and perhaps the conservatives who read this thread can help me out with.

Per the McCain Letter:

""I am proud to stand with our Republican candidates as the Obama Democrats and their wealthy liberal backers focus their attacks squarely on defeating Republicans and gaining control of our government.

"I want to do all I can to help stop the Democrats from seizing control of Washington and implementing their radically liberal policy for our nation."

* Now...we've identified them Libruls as being those hoity toity rich fatcats...

* Obama has already said he wants to raise taxes on the wealthiest Americans (and the Wealthy Librul Elites are surely in this category)

* Nobody likes to pay higher taxes

So why would these wealthy, elitist Libruls back or support Obama?

Just curious as to the Conservative response here. No particular agenda for asking, other than idle curiosity.

-=Vel=-
    The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Vel, dont attempt to find logic, it's futile
      Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
      Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
      giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Especially when it comes to American politics!

Comment

FAIL!

Comment

So why would these wealthy, elitist Libruls back or support Obama?
            White guilt, of course.

-Arrian
            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Mother Russia would NEVER support that capitalist PIG!

(hey, if Family Guy can have the Nazis supporting McCain...)
              Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
              1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Forgot the attachment...
                Attached Files
                Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

I received a letter from Sarah Palin, thanking me for my past support of Republicans and asking me for a donation.

In the words of Tweety Bird: "She don't know me very well, do she?"

Comment

She only know what I told her.
                    Long time member @ Apolyton
                    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

I think they should have sent him a whole bunch of money just to get him in trouble. Imagine the furor when it was revealed that a V. Putin and D. Medvedev contributed big bucks to the McCain campaign!
                      "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                        I received a letter from Sarah Palin, thanking me for my past support of Republicans and asking me for a donation.

In the words of Tweety Bird: "She don't know me very well, do she?"
                        If they go the fascist way, you're on the good list.
                        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Working...
                        X