God bless Connecticut.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• God bless Connecticut.

Two plus one makes three states legalizing equal marriage protection.

By Ted Lorson

HARTFORD, Connecticut (Reuters) - Connecticut's highest court on Friday unexpectedly struck down a ban on gay and lesbian marriage, making the New England state the third in the nation to allow full-fledged marriage for same-sex couples.

After four years of legal wrangling in the state court system, the Connecticut Supreme Court ruled 4-3 that a ban on gay marriage constituted "cognizable harm" and infringed on a "fundamental right" of same-sex couples.

The decision, which overturns a lower court ruling, follows the legalization of gay marriage in California this year and in Massachusetts in 2003. It was hailed by gay rights advocates as a proud day after battles over the culturally divisive issue in several states.

Connecticut Gov. Jodi Rell, a Republican, disagreed with the ruling but said she will uphold it.

"I continue to believe that marriage is the union of a man and a woman," Rell said. "I do not believe their voice reflects the majority of the people of Connecticut."

She said she was convinced that any attempt to reverse the decision, either legislatively or by amending the state Constitution, would fail.

The decision came as a surprise after previous courts upheld the ban and lawmakers wrote specific language into a civil union measure defining marriage as between men and women.

Connecticut was one of four U.S. states that permits same-sex civil unions that grant rights such as insurance coverage, tax benefits and hospital visitations. But these lack the full, federal legal protections of marriage.

Opponents of gay marriage said they would seek to overturn the ruling by persuading voters to support a ballot measure next month that would open a state constitutional convention to address the issue of same-sex marriage.

"Then we will put a question on the ballot to allow the public, not our robed masters, to decide once and for all if marriage will be protected in our state constitution as the union between a man and a woman," said Peter Wolfgang, president of the Family Institute of Connecticut, a conservative Christian group.

Karl Zinsmeister, President George W. Bush's assistant for domestic policy, issued a statement criticizing the decision late on Friday.

"President Bush has always believed that marriage is a sacred institution between a man and a woman.

"It's unfortunate that activist judges continue to seek to redefine marriage by court order without regard for the will of the people. Today's decision by the Connecticut Supreme Court illustrates that a federal constitutional amendment may be needed if the people are to decide what marriage means."

'WE ARE OVERJOYED'

The plaintiffs in the case -- eight same-sex couples -- challenged the lower court's ruling that civil unions give same-sex couples the same rights and protections as marriage.

They argued that their constitutional rights were denied when they were barred from getting marriage licenses.

"We are overjoyed to tell our twin boys that we will be married, just like their friends' parents," Beth Kerrigan and Jodie Mock, two plaintiffs in the case, said in a statement.

The date when the decision takes effect depends on a trial court order that is expected after October 28, said Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal.

"It won't take effect immediately but probably in the next month or so," he said in a telephone interview.

When Massachusetts' top court overturned a ban on gay marriage in 2003, opposition was so strong that it drove religious conservatives to the polls in 2004, a factor in the re-election of President George W. Bush.

But this year, just three weeks before the U.S. presidential election, national reaction was relatively muted as the news fought for air time with turmoil in financial markets, tumbling stock prices and signs of a possible global recession.

More than 25 states have constitutional amendments barring same-sex marriage, many approved in ballot measures in 2004.

(Additional reporting by Svea-Herbst Bayliss in Boston. Writing by Jason Szep; Editing by Eric Walsh)
    Connecticut recognizes that gays and lesbians are human!!
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

I don't think the courts should be doing this, it should be the legislatures.

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

On the other hand, there's that pesky Equal Protection clause. First it gave Negros equal rights, now gays and lesbians. Who's next??

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
        I don't think the courts should be doing this, it should be the legislatures.

JM
        Even in the interest of justice and civil rights? Was it wrong for the Supreme Court to rule on civil rights issues in the 1950s and 1960s?

I don't think civil rights should be denied to others on the whim of majority vote in the legislature or among voters in referendums.
        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

I don't think this is a civil rights issue. I don't think that people have a right to get governmental support for any relationship that they choose.

Now, I do think that homosexual relationships should get governmental support. But it isn't because anyone getting into a relationship deserves governmental support, but rather that the things that homosexual relationships provide (are for the most part) exactly the things that the government wants which is why it supports heterosexual (traditional) relationships.

JM
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

There is never a right for support. There is a right for conscience, free action, property, etc.

There is never a right for governmental support.

JM
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

What about when the Supreme Court struck down a ban on miscegenation?
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

If there was a law banning people of the same sex from having sex than I would agree it was the same. Maybe you need to be a bit clearer?

JM
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                  "miscegenation?"
                  Definition: Interracial marriage.

Comment

Yep, that's it.

In Loving v. Virginia, Virginia had a law that said a black and white cannot marry. Supreme Court shot it down and said there is a right to marriage.
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Is this a joke?

We literally had 5 threads on this 10 days ago.
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Finally, people of different sexs are different. People of different races aren't different.

There is a difference there. No one but some crazies (which includes people on this site, but not the homosexuals on this site) aren't saying that 'marriage' should be given to everyone excluding whatever differences might occur.

Marriage was given to one man-one woman couples in the interest of producing stable relationships and stable homes for children (and promoting mental and physical health of the members of those relationships).

Obviously it doesn't matter whether you are black or white in that definition.

It does matter if you are male or female.

We are discussing here, and I am in favor of, extending the definition to be one person of age with another person of age. This is an extension of definition.

There was always marriage for black people and marriage for white people. There has previously not been marriage between two men or two women. At least, not in our definition heritage.

It is fine for the courts to say 'black people can marry black, and white people white, it is discrimination that black can't marry white'. It is not fine for the courts to say 'we are expanding what the definition of marriage is'.

JM
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                          Yep, that's it.

In Loving v. Virginia, Virginia had a law that said a black and white cannot marry. Supreme Court shot it down and said there is a right to marriage.
                          Wrong, that is not saying there is a right to marriage. That is saying that blacks and marry blacks and whites can marry whites but blacks and marry whites is discrimination.

I haven't read the opinion, but that is how they should have reasoned it.

JM
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

.....this thread is 10 days late.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                              Wrong, that is not saying there is a right to marriage. That is saying that blacks and marry blacks and whites can marry whites but blacks and marry whites is discrimination.
                              I haven't read the opinion

Read the opinion.

Comment

Working...
                              X