It's not real - only you are

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's not real - only you are

It's funny. Not Ha-Ha funny but funny how perspective changes, and then you become more happy as a result of that change.

I was into social constructionism for some while, basically the interpretation of reality. Also about how the mind works, of course I still am. There was, however, a strong difficulty with the concept of nothing being real except concrete, the nature, and the rest is made up, the rest is just a cluster of social agreements made back in the days for reasons we forgot, bastardized by time and so forth, starting from values and norms to how we interpret situations, policies, culture, just about everything. That it doesn't exist, except in our extended silent agreement, but mostly because we have been sort of institutionalized into it from our birth. So we think it's real, even when we can't grasp it but it's still sort of true, even when it just isn't. Most often some drunk dude made it up like 300 years ago while shagging his sheep. And that's why we say "bless you" and think it's polite, or more importantly, think it's impolite not to say it and certain expectation in a social situaton si born, where you are labeled if you don't follow it.

So this ultimately leads to a dead end. Because then society isn't real either. Well, it isn't, though certain parts of it is very real like if you break some norms that have been put into laws, well, there also was an agreement earlier about the nation you live in, and the power the state has in its usage, police, and they can grab you and put you in jail, and then you lose your freedom in the sense you lose when you go to jail. So, there are consequences, and those consequences are very real that affect you directly.

But what you have to realize is that it doesn't mean, that these things don't exist, that then nothing matters. That's not the way to go. That is not the realization one should make as the sole result. Then a person thinks well, now I'm free. No you aren't. Even the process you did, the journey that made you convinced nothing is real except .. what ever, and that's just a point of view really anyway,... it shouldn't be the only conclusion. That now you are free because you have broken the chains of what norms and everything really are, where they derive from and how they affect your self image and behaviour, behaviour in others and so forth, belief systems and whatnot.. so now you let them go and you become free?

No. By definition of your own action, you didn't arrive into it in a vacuum. You just didn't go about an evolution of yourself. You just denounced society like a little baby.

I think it is much more liberating to understand the further implications of that. Such that you make your own future. This is not the American Dream speech nor does it refer to people who are born to poor countries with no opportunities, rather that happiness and things of that nature, freedom and so forth, they have nothing to do with getting rid of the programming of society, parenthood, values and whatever, because you can't escape that unless you live in a vacuum. Plus it has big benefits to undergo that program, or brainwashing, or installing a value system, or culture, cultivation of yourself. It certainly has its benefits, just like society has its benefits if you are part of one.

It doesn't make you a loner, unelss you want to make it mean that it does. But that's not the only implication. Apolytoners are boring and their mothers are fat. But the point is, you become willing to accept personal responsibility, and not as means to further tie yourself into meaningless things, taking your time, but rather a different kind of responsibility. Responsibility about yourself. ANd when you have that, then you are much more free than when you don't have it. So of course you don't have to reject the responsibility just because it isn't real. Why would it have to mean that yes, since it's not real anyway, you can ignore it. You still choose to ignore it if you do, because it did present itself in front of you. You chose not to do what is right by your own heart. And that's what makes you a bastard. Maybe you will be punched in the future. Hard. In the stomach.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Pekka! Navel! Stop gazing into it!
    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Do you ever go like woah, I wish I could translate these things into words, so I could properly communicate them to others? But it's difficult, sometimes it is impossible, because you don't udnerstand them yourself except they are sort of awesome, in more literal terms, awesome. It's like... woah, wtf, now that... no wait... just be quiet... let me think about it... uhm I even feel different... holy crap, I never really.... how could I've never? Do everyone else know about this? They should know about this, I'm sure someone would appreciate and then they'd grow into this and they'd be like thanks bro, and I wish that person then goes further and gives me that knowledge so I can advance and it's like... how do I say it? I don't know! Because it's like woah, man.
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Society is just as real as you are. You are a puny insignificant bug compared to society. When I think of transformation, it's social transformation that I think of. Sure it's important to free yourself, but only in the context of society becoming free. If you were the only free person that wouldn't be significant, just as you as an individual, are not significant.
        Last edited by Kidlicious; October 21, 2008, 09:55.
        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

There's no need for racism Kid. I see your point, but I think the racism just wasn't called for.
          In da butt.

Comment

It does sound like something a racist would say when I read it again.
            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
                Pekka! Navel! Stop gazing into it!
                Look into the navel, and the navel looks back at you...
                I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Working...
                X