NaNoWriMo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NaNoWriMo

I know this isn't a message board dedicated to writing, but I know I'm not the only writer here as well.

For those that do not know, NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) is an event that takes place during the month of November. It's an effort to get a bunch of people to write 50,000 word novels. If you complete this before the deadline of November 30, you get, essentially, a pat on the back.

The whole point is just to get people to do something they wouldn't normally do. It's been going on for nine years now and somewhere on the order of tens of thousands throughout the world (but mostly in the United States) participate.

I've never done it before, but in an effort to get myself out of the funk of "writer's block" I've been in the last few years, I'm going to give it a shot.

Anyone else here doing it? Anyone done it before?
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Any idea what sort of novel you are going to write?
    You've just proven signature advertising works!

Comment

Some slash fanfic?

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

A science fiction piece that takes place in a setting I designed a few years ago. Humanity lives on satellite cities that orbit the Earth; the Earth is forbidden and thought to be occupied by some sort of demon; most humans are transhumans to some degree - meshed with cybernetics, encased in machines, made into conscious computer programs, or able to mentally manipulate the nanomachines that pervade the cities.

The plot itself is pretty basic: a ship out in the asteroid belt discovers a batch of cryogenically frozen miners stored in an incredibly ancient colony. Something goes wrong with the ship, however, and a team is sent out from one of the satellite cities to investigate.

There's mystery, politics, adventure, and a healthy dose of philosophical discussion regarding what it means to be human and what comes after humanity.

The novel is called Gray Dawn, and the fifty thousand words I write next month will hopefully just be an incredibly rough (and truncated) draft. I have some strange delusion that I'm going to be a novelist someday.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Sounds like it could be interesting. Good luck.

After this one, I recommend writing a novel about Leather-clad Lesbian Vampires. And make sure the movie deal gets you a share of the ticket and dvd sales. Because I will for sure being seeing that sum-***** a billion times....

Or, uhh, yeahh, I'll shut up now.
          You've just proven signature advertising works!

Comment

I'm down.
            John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

I'll read it if there is sex with a green or blue skinned alien babe struggling to research what humans call love.

Comment

No aliens. But there will, in all likelihood, be one or two brief sex scenes.

Comment

yuck
                  "

Comment

Sound like a great project, Lori.

1667 words/day isn't too tough. Just crank away every day, don't get hung up on any snags and you'll be fine. Best of luck to you.

Me, I write on a strictly mercenary basis.
                    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

28 words per minute, for one hour a day, and you're good to go.
                      John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

****, at that rate I've got a luxurious 2.14 seconds for each word. Time to break out the thesaurus: It was a crepuscular and tempestuous duskiness.

Btw, is anyone else going to participate?

Comment

Working...
                        X