‘Gray Rape’: A New Form of Date Rape?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gibsie

So you would actually consider it to be rape? I hope that when you meet women in situatons where alcohol is involved, that you tell them not to try and funny business later on or they'll be raping you

I think there should be some kind of differentiation here, that has not yet been mentioned. To some extent alcohol merely removes inhibitions, and people do things they would be less likely to do whilst drunk- but still enjoy them and not regret them. I'm sure many of us have done silly things with others when we're drunk- without the need to put ourselves on the same level as a rape victim. (With too much alcohol it can go further than that of course and it would be rape if someone deceitfully got someone drunk to have their way with them.)
    If we were both drunk why would I prosecute? If I was purely selfish (I am not), why would I want to get in trouble also? I am assuming you are saying that I was drunk and she was not.

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Miller
      I don't think that drunk people can give consent.

Either the consent was given before hand, or it is rape.

JM
      But which of the parties was raped if BOTH are very drunk? If you say the man with no other evidence isn't that being extremely paternalistic-- ie the man should know better while the woman has no such obligation
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• As I said, if both are very drunk, then (if it gets taken to court), both should be charged with rape.

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• I believe he's saying that both were raped and both were the rapists... which makes me
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Actually, it makes one wrestle with what the definition of :consent" actually is.

Comment

• Overall I find it difficult to believe in this gray rape concept. Terming it such, marginalizes rape.

I don't think it should ever be rape if the alleged rapist had no knowledge of the lack of consent and no intent to act absent consent
              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Miller
                As I said, if both are very drunk, then (if it gets taken to court), both should be charged with rape.

JM
                HUH?

So neither has the capability to consent to an act but both have the needed capability to form the intent to do the act ????

Your position makes no sense and realistically if thats what the law was, both parties would "forget" everything such that both cases would be dismissed for lack of evidence.

They would both be so relieved that they would hit the pubs for a few beers and then recall that the sex was actually pretty good and then go hook up again

Comment

• Xenophilia
                  "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

• Hey, if there were green space babes I would be all over that.

Consent still matters.

JM
                    (And yes, I think that for the most part this would just mean the standard would be:
                    "He raped me while I was drunk"
                    "I was drunk also"
                    Unless there is any particular evidence that one was much more drunk then the other.
                    <-charges filed against both->
                    Next time:
                    "He.... umm"
                    or even better
                    <-I am not going to drink so much, or so much when I am not sure that my freinds will take care of me->)
                    (Question, when people use other drugs (the illegal ones), they generally try to use only around freinds. But for some reason people are willing to go out and get completely messed up on alcohol with complete strangers. This is stupid!)
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Working...
                    X