• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yea, what I thought!

Don't mess with Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Docfeelgood

Yeah, but before you get too carried away, I do get the impression (and I use the word impression as I am in no way an expert) that if you have coloured skin and are on trial in the USA, then you are more likely to get a longer sentence. You are also more likely to end up on Death Row than a white person.

If this is statistically correct - then that is woeful.

However on the flipside, when a bunch of dumb white F'ers perpertrate a violent act against a coloured person then instantly it's labeled a hate crime. But that same logic does not seem to apply when the roles are reversed.

Again, it is woeful that this seems to be accepted.

No country, state or principality is perfect. Nor is any justice system.

However, when we get hung up on the colour of the peoples skin involved - well that's just pathetic.

Also - when we decry an entire population for the actions of some of it's members - that is also pathetic.

These are distractions from the real issues.
      I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Originally posted by Nugog

Yeah, but before you get too carried away, I do get the impression (and I use the word impression as I am in no way an expert) that if you have coloured skin and are on trial in the USA, then you are more likely to get a longer sentence. You are also more likely to end up on Death Row than a white person.

If this is statistically correct - then that is woeful.

However on the flipside, when a bunch of dumb white F'ers perpertrate a violent act against a coloured person then instantly it's labeled a hate crime. But that same logic does not seem to apply when the roles are reversed.

Again, it is woeful that this seems to be accepted.

No country, state or principality is perfect. Nor is any justice system.

However, when we get hung up on the colour of the peoples skin involved - well that's just pathetic.

Also - when we decry an entire population for the actions of some of it's members - that is also pathetic.

These are distractions from the real issues.

I cannot honestly answer that question.

but
        IMHO
        more with dark skin break more laws.

Comment

Let me say befor getting flames by all u politicaly correct people.

U do not live here where I live. U donot see what I see. U do not hear what I hear.
          So don't go telling me what u know when U don't live here.

walk in my shoes then tell me.

Comment

Doc obviously doesn't know another place where black people get nooses tied around their necks and dragged behind cars or he would have said it. No doubt he is busy trying to google it right now.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
              Doc obviously doesn't know another place where black people get nooses tied around their necks and dragged behind cars or he would have said it. No doubt he is busy trying to google it right now.

No im not googling myself.
              I know.
              Don't you?

Comment

but
                IMHO
                more with dark skin break more laws.
                That is not my argument/point - and is reasonably irrelevant.

Even if more coloured people commit crimes - under the ideals of a western judicial system, where all are treated fairly and equally, then there would not still be statistical difference in the length of sentences for similar crimes.

There would however be more coloured people in jail, this is true, if what you propose is also true.

I am not flaming you, nor am I overly politically correct.

I was pointing out that it appears to an outsider that your judicial system is not always fair.

As for living in your shoes - well, we all know that is impossible. However I have always lived in multicultural areas, and grew up in an area with a high crime rate, where the majority of the violent crime was perpertrated by people with darker skin. It was individuals that prepertrated those crimes, not a genetic group.

I suppose it would be hard to see my point of view, if you grew up in an area where skin colour was important.

I am/was lucky - neither of my parents seemed to care about it, and our house was full of people from all sorts of different cultures, and I grew up looking and dealing with individuals, not racial groups.

Having said that I am not overly PC, and believe in strong laws with equally applied strong sentences.

*edited for doofus typing
                I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

That is not my argument/point - and is reasonably irrelevant.

Even if more coloured people commit crimes - under the ideals of a western judicial system, where all are treated fairly and equally, then there would not still be statistical difference in the length of sentences for similar crimes.

There would however be more coloured people in jail, this is true, if what you propose is also true.

I am not flaming you, nor am I overly politically correct.

I was pointing out that it appears to an outsider that your judicial system is not always fair.

As for living in your shoes - well, we all know that is impossible. However I have always lived in multicultural areas, and grew up in an area with a high crime rate, where the majority of the violent crime was perpertrated by people with darker skin. It was individuals that prepertrated those crimes, not a genetic group.

I suppose it would be hard to see my point of view, if you grew up in an area where skin colour was important.

I am/was lucky - neither of my parents seemed to care about it, and our house was full of people from all sorts of different cultures, and I grew up looking and dealing with individuals, not racial groups.

Having said that I am not overly PC, and believe in strong laws with equally applied strong sentences.

*edited for doofus typing

Comment

Every country has a flaw in there judicial system.
                    Thank you for your open mind.

It just irritates me that others/some r so fast to point there finger at our flaws but r quick to omit there own.

Comment

Yes this sadly does happen but not just here.

Comment

It just irritates me that others/some r so fast to point there finger at our flaws but r quick to omit there own.
                        Well - Texas baiting seems to be a common sport here in the OT, mainly because quite often it elicites the same response you have just mentioned........

Comment

Well - Texas baiting seems to be a common sport here in the OT, mainly because quite often it elicites the same response you have just mentioned........

hook,line and sinker

Comment

Doc:
                            The only reason I'm concerned about what happens in your country,
                            while not in other places, is just what happens elsewhere hardly
                            can have a consequence in the place I stand, but what happens in
                            the States is important to everybody as it is "exported" around.
                            Best regards,

Comment

Let me say befor getting flames by all u politicaly correct people.

U do not live here where I live. U donot see what I see. U do not hear what I hear.
                              So don't go telling me what u know when U don't live here.

walk in my shoes then tell me.
                              Only per capita, and the difference isn't that great overall. Conviction rates, and sentencing, however greatly skew against Black people and Hispanics, as evidence by the OP, where a Black kid got 7 years for pushing another student, while a white kid that set fire to her house, apparently deliberately, got three months probation. East Texas is among the most racist parts of our country.
                              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Same for the Japs about WWII.

Yor logic not mine
                                I agree, Texans are just as bad.
                                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                                X