Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Austria's Haider dies in accident

I'm sure the muslims were behind it. Or the EU. Or whatever

Austrian far-right politician Joerg Haider has been killed in a road accident, police reports say.

Haider died near Klagenfurt in Carinthia, his political stronghold.

He was driving alone when his car came off the road and he suffered severe head and chest injuries, police told the Austrian APA news agency.

The 58-year-old was a former leader of the Austrian Freedom Party, and was known for his anti-immigration and anti-EU policies.

Police investigators in Klagenfurt told the BBC that investigations into the crash were under way.

JOERG HAIDER: KEY DATES
    Joerg Haider
    1950: Born in Upper Austria
    1976: Joins Freedom Party
    1986: Elected party's leader
    1989: Elected governor of Carinthia
    2000: Resigns as party leader
    2005: Founds Alliance for Austria's Future

Obituary: Joerg Haider

He had reportedly been due to attend his mother's 90th birthday celebrations later in the day.

"For us this is the end of the world," the deputy leader of Haider's Alliance for Austria's Future, Stefan Petzner, told Austrian news agency, APA.

EU sanctions

Haider was a divisive figure, who gained notoriety after he became leader of the Freedom Party in 1986.

In 1991, his term as governor of the province of Carinthia was interrupted, after he made comments praising employment policies of Nazi Germany.

But he was re-elected in 1999 and 2003.

In 2000, the EU imposed sanctions against Austria in a protest over his party's role in government.

In 2005, Haider founded the Alliance for Austria's Future, which scored its best result so far in recent elections, gaining 11% of the vote.

This was, however, well below the 27% which the Freedom Party won under his leadership in 1999 - a high mark in Haider's electoral career at national level.
    BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service
    Blah

Freaky piece of news, to be sure.

Like yesterday, when Alexey Prokurorov, renowned Russian cross-country skier, was killed in a traffic accident.

Comment

those road accidents are the best - you can never tell what's up, as well (almost) everyone has them from time to time - although they are luckily not fatal most of the time...

ah well... better choice than suicided in the woods if it was someones doing... otherwise hope that Austrians will not be going to vote for some of the others to the right of him...
      Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
      GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

OMFG, I was just talking about him yesterday to my best friend, and how bizzare his anti-immigrant policies in particular, aslyum seekers being placed in a compound was...... God Rest his Soul!
        "Our words are backed with NUCLEAR WEAPONS!"​​

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
          Freaky piece of news, to be sure.

Like yesterday, when Alexey Prokurorov, renowned Russian cross-country skier, was killed in a traffic accident.
          Ah Putin and cutting brake pipes. He's such a character
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Prokurorov was a passenger in a car that was hit by a drunken driver.

Comment

I'll give it to the FSB, they must have put some effort into that one in that case
              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I'm pretty sure he drove way too fast, crashing into a concrete pillar, then hitting various signs, a hydrant, then his car threw up in the air, rotating several times and grounded. Well, at least he knows why he died...
                Last edited by Wernazuma III; October 11, 2008, 07:50.
                "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Well if it was good enough for Pricess Di, it's good enough for him
                  Speaking of Erith:

Comment

ehhh I mean

I hope this makes his party implode.
                    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

It's freaky indeed. His death so soon after a success in the elections... As "strange" as Garang's death soon after deal with Khartum.
                      "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                      I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                      Middle East!

Comment

I can't believe it
                        I need a foot massage

Comment

Was Heinz-Christian Strache involved? Is this Austria's Night of the Long Knives?

Comment

Originally posted by Heraclitus

ehhh I mean

I hope this makes his party implode.
                            It could rally them now that they sort of have a martyr.

Anyway, I'm sorry for his family.
                            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Wernazuma III
                              I'm pretty sure he drove way too fast, crashing into a concrete pillar, then hitting various signs, a hydrant, then his car threw up in the air, rotating several times and grounded. ...
                              And then he lost control over the car.

Comment

Working...
                              X