What do you know about GPS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you know about GPS?

Could I buy a GPS off the shelf and use it to navigate around the Phils in a sailboat?
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Oh yes!
    Seen them even in cars.

Comment

You should use a sextant, like a real mariner.
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Garmin has a line of marine GPS handhelds.
        Be sure to have a stock of fresh batteries.
        I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Comment

Thanks gwillybj, this looks like a good one. I wonder if maps are available for the Philippines though. Also, how do you know which map your on?

Dashi, but I'm not a real mariner.

Dfg, I've seen those too. A pal told me of a way to use a laptop, but the nice thing about the one gwillybj mentioned it that its waterproof.

Another nice thing, I can go to Walmart and pluck one off the shelf.

AngieC, azona, Boris Godunov, carnide_, crantor, Dale, DanQ, Darius871, Deity Dude, Don Pablo, Elok, Garth Vader, Heraclitus, Heresson, Imran Siddiqui, johnmcd, Jon Miller, joncnunn, Kazik, KrazyHorse, Lancer, Mariolo, MrFun, Naked Gents Rut, Ninot, OzzyKP, Patroklos, SAMUEL2904, Seedle, Skyrider68, SlowwHand, Solver, Squalido, Strow, uselesses, Viztor, Will9, Zkribbler, Zside, zzZz
          Last edited by Lancer; October 31, 2008, 18:47.
          Long time member @ Apolyton
          Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

What do you know about GPS?
            Doesn't work inside buildings, don't blindly trust to directions GPS gives to you when driving.

Comment

If we have to orgaize a rescue party and go all the way there to get your ass, then we will have some issues.
              Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Originally posted by Sprayber
                If we have to orgaize a rescue party and go all the way there to get your ass, then we will have some issues.

Actually, it has its ups and downs

I would check coverage in that are you need to use it in...

Have had some real poor experiences, and was told it was due to military base jamming...
                Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Working...
                X