Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's laugh about Bebro (computer question)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's laugh about Bebro (computer question)

So I have this shiny new computer now here, all great. Just that I think the keyboard layout has been designed by some fascist. It has three keys for "sleep" "wake" and finally "power" just where my good old keyboard had "print" "scroll" and most importantly "pause" - which is exactly where now "power" is located.

When you press "power", the computer shuts down in the midst of whatever-you-are-just-running without even asking back if I want really shut down the damn thing

Since I most often play Paradox games that use "pause" a lot it's easy to press the wrong button, and guess what, I already had this nonsense two or three times.

Is there an easy way to deactivate this (aside from the usual advice like buy a new computer, another keyboard, or nuke it all from orbit)?
    Blah

I physically removed the wake key and replaced it with a non-funtional "oh ****" key. Since I did that, I have not pressed any of those three keys accidently. But despite it not being functional, I still find myself pressing the oh **** key.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Remove the key from the keyboard, indeed.

You can also usually remap keys like that, and I think you can probably go into the BIOS and change the power key's functionality (make it not work).

Read http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/...3/m/6490961515 for example.
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Well, looks like I have to introduce such a "oh ****" key as well
        Blah

Comment

There are days that it is quite satisfying to look down and see it. And people that come over and look over my shoulder usually get quite a laugh. (it's green vs putty so it really stands out)
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369

Read http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/...3/m/6490961515 for example.
            Ahh, this is even better, since there I read that I can adjust it under Control Panel -> Power Options -> Advanced -> Power Buttons so that it now brings up the usual choice to sleep/shutdown/reboot which you can also cancel (the options says it's for the "off" button at the computer, but works the same for the keyboard).

Thx
            Blah

Comment

Yay, Snoopy!
              No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
              "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Shutting down the machine in the middle of a big offensive

Comment

Guess that it's difficult for german shepards to learn new tricks
                  With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

My F5 keys (as other F-keys) won't work on my POS keyboard with many games.
                    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Consider playing games made >1995, then ...

(Or buying a keyboard that doesn't come with malware installed )
                      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Eh, it's a MS keyboard and I am talking about post '95 games.
                        DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

You don't laugh "about". You laugh "at".
                          I'm not sure, though.
                          "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                          I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                          Middle East!

Comment

Is it a notebook? If it is, shouldn't it sleep when you close the lid or if it isn't at least when you press the power button for a short period of time?

Does it wake up when you press any key?

Who designed this crazy ass piece of tech?
                            Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Heresson
                              You don't laugh "about". You laugh "at".
                              I'm not sure, though.
                              You can do both. As evidence, everyone who read your post is laughing at you and laughing about your ignorance.
                              Only feebs vote.

Comment

Working...
                              X