X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asher

Mine's a 5 door, but 2004. Launch year.

The world is copying me.
    Mine is 6 door. An experimental model from 2003.

Comment

You're thinking of the Mazda 5.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Zoid
        Mazdas are gay.
        Ok, let's compare. Take out your bus pass.

Spec.
        -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Years ago I went to Seattle with some friends and watched the Seahawks destroy Cinci. We camped across the sound in a wooded campground in what seemed the middle of nowhere. Next morning we walked to the ferry which took us across the sound and dropped us off in the middle of the city. Nicest commute I ever took.
          Long time member @ Apolyton
          Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael

I have almost no sense of smell, so this wouldn't be a problem for me.

SpencerH: What places to live don't suck?
            I havent lived in a real city for more than 20 years so they all kinda suck to me. A small city like Austin might be a good compromise of work potential with a great art scene. What about New Orleans? Once you get used to dodging the occasional hurricane its a great place to live. If you can work long distance as a technical writer than someplace like Santa Fe might be interesting. It'd certainly be a change from the Washington area (where I assume you now live).
            We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
            If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
            Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

I rented a Mazda 6. It was OK, but no match for my Acura.
              We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
              If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
              Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                Mine's a 5 door, but 2004. Launch year.

The world is copying me.
                Yeah. No. Mine will be a 4-door. I think hatchbacks are ugly.
                Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Spec

Ok, let's compare. Take out your bus pass.

Spec.
                  Just because I don't own a car doesn't mean I can't have standards...
                  I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

If you are thinking NYC and don't know anyone here, you should first get a job because housing remains prohibitively expensive.
                    If you don't like reality, change it! me
                    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Haphazard browsing of Craigslist showed that if I just wanted to rent a room in a house or an apartment, it wouldn't be much more than what I'm paying now. Of course, with Craigslist, it's sometimes hard to know what you're getting.
                      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Well, the hazard there is getting some crazy landlord.

The big question in NYC about housing prices is where are you willing to live. There are plenty of areas that have easy subway access in the "periphery" of the City in which prices are much lower than in Manhattan or the busier neighborhoods of Brooklyn and Queens. The cheapest place with good subway access remains the Bronx, were you could find a 1 bedroom for around $1000 a month, and if you find a roommate, find a 2 bedroom for $1200-1400 easily.

I don't know how NYC will hold up economically in the next few months. The Wall Street meltdown will hit the City hard financially but a lot of industries will still be humming along, as as long as the dollar is cheap people will continue to come here as tourists.

Comment

Yeah. No. Mine will be a 4-door. I think hatchbacks are ugly.
                          I disagree, but that's not the point anyway. The hatch has been invaluable over the years for me, whether when I'm moving my stuff or someone else's, making a furniture purchase, etc. Extremely useful.
                          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Zoid

Just because I don't own a car doesn't mean I can't have standards...
                            The difference is when you actually own a car, you have to pay for it. So while it's nice to show pictures of BMWs and pretend you know **** about cars, it's way too expensive and impractical for the vast majority of people.

The reason Mazdas are popular is because they are cost effective -- good on gas and great feature set for the price. Additionally, they usually have more power and are more nimble than their competitors.

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
                              The big question in NYC about housing prices is where are you willing to live. There are plenty of areas that have easy subway access in the "periphery" of the City in which prices are much lower than in Manhattan or the busier neighborhoods of Brooklyn and Queens. The cheapest place with good subway access remains the Bronx, were you could find a 1 bedroom for around $1000 a month, and if you find a roommate, find a 2 bedroom for $1200-1400 easily.
                              Unfortunately NYC is very large and I know virtually nothing about its layout. I'm guessing that if I live in the periphery I'm either going to have a long commute into the city or I'm going to work outside the city and make less money. Is that anywhere close to the truth?

Comment

Unfortunately NYC is very large and I know virtually nothing about its layout. I'm guessing that if I live in the periphery I'm either going to have a long commute into the city or I'm going to work outside the city and make less money. Is that anywhere close to the truth?
                                Depends on what a "long commute" means for you, and also where in the City you might end up if you came to NYC. 30-45 minutes is likely, though some people commute for 1-1.5 hours. There are various express subway trains, so during rush hour some of the cheaper areas are about 30-40 minutes from midtown or downtown, the two main areas were publishers would be. Also, there is communiting within the City and into the City. There are some areas in NJ that are also 30-45 minutes from midtown and downtown manhattan. Hell, technically Newark is about 45 minutes by mass transit.

Comment

Working...
                                X