Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

:HappyPutin: buys Iceland (Sedlabankithreadi)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• :HappyPutin: buys Iceland (Sedlabankithreadi)

Did ya read that? First those Vikings introduced communism, and put their banks under state control, now Russia helps out with 4 bn.

Maybe if we wait long enough we can get some cheap countries for us too

REYKJAVIK, Oct 7 (Reuters) - Iceland's central bank said on Tuesday Russia had agreed to provide the country with loans of 4 billion euros ($5.4 billion).

Sedlabanki said in Icelandic on its website that the Russian ambassador to Iceland, Victor Tatarintsev, had informed Central Bank Governor David Oddsson on Tuesday that Russia would provide Iceland with the loan.

It said the loan would substantially strengthen Iceland's foreign reserves and support the Icelandic crown.

The central bank said the loans were for 3-4 years on terms that would be 30-50 points above Libor rates.

It said Iceland's Prime Minister Geir Haarde had begun investigating the possibilities of such a loan this summer and that experts from the Sedlabanki and the government would be going to Moscow shortly.
    Blah

Going to have to sell a heck of alot of fish to pay that back.
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

They got rich on the financial markets, in the last 20 years. Apparently they have gotten very poor in the last year.

JM
      (They had the highest per capital wealth in the world for a while.)
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Iceland is evil. Has no one else ever seen The Mighty Ducks?
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I did. Seriously, they're so evil they spelled their name wrong!
          B♭3

Comment

They also had the highest alcoholism rate in the West... must've caught up with them.
            (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
            (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
            (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

This is what a unilateral declaration of independence will get ya - 64 years later.

Comment

Will Björk now sing in Russian?
                B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                  Iceland is evil. Has no one else ever seen The Mighty Ducks?
                  Is that some Disney cartoon?

Also, I guess the GIUK gap is no more now. We'll finally be able to covertly deliver humanitarian aid to New Orleans.
                  Graffiti in a public toilet
                  Do not require skill or wit
                  Among the **** we all are poets
                  Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Bring beads.
                    Long time member @ Apolyton
                    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by onodera

Is that some Disney cartoon?
                      Close -- a Disney kid movie about hockey.

BTW: Iceland = 100% energy from renewables.
                      Last edited by Zkribbler; October 7, 2008, 16:09.

Comment

Also, no auto manufacturers.
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Also, horses you can jump over when you're in a hurry.

Comment

BTW: Iceland = 100% energy from renewables.
                            They have developed a clever means of exporting that energy as well, they import Bauxite ore and smelt aluminum which is a VERY energy intensive process, thus the value added through smelting acts as a de-facto export of renewable energy. In the future they might lay sub-sea High Voltage DC transmition lines to energy hungry England (note that currently much farther then such lines have ever been laid before). So overall their economic situation is good in that they have solid reliable exports they will be making profits from (un like fishing which is under major threats globally).
                            Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

WTF?????? Personally, If I were Putin I'd buy a much warmer island like Cyprus or Crete.
                              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Working...
                              X