• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Event here in Iraq

The blackout is over so...

Another US soldier dies in Iraq
    Fri, 03 Oct 2008 14:37:07 GMT
    A roadside bomb explosion south of Baghdad has taken the life of an American soldier in war-torn Iraq, a US military statement says.

The incident occurred on Thursday when a bomb exploded near the deceased soldier's vehicle south of Amarah, a city 320 km (200 miles) southeast of the Iraqi capital.

The statement which was released on Friday said the soldier's name was being withheld pending notification of next of kin.

The Thursday blast comes shortly after a spate of violence rocked the Iraqi capital where multiple explosions on last Sunday left 33 people killed and 107 others injured.

One blast hit the capital's western Shurta neighborhood while minutes later a second shook Hai al-Ami neighborhood.

The deadliest of the attacks, however, targeted central Baghdad's busy Karrada shopping district where a car bomb a long with a roadside bomb went off within less than two hours after the first two explosions, claiming scores of lives and wounding another 72.

Iraqi official said the attacks sought to disturb the celebrations of Eid al-Fitr, a holiday marking the end of the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan.
    I actually called in the medievac request to our landing zone. It took over an hour for a helicopter to land. I had attack helicopters come and help secure the site long before medievac came.
    "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
    "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
    "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
    "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Iraq has the internet?

Why are you still there? The internet is everything. Pull out, pull out.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I don't have clean running water but I do have internet.
      "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

I actually called in the medievac request to our landing zone. It took over an hour for a helicopter to land. I had attack helicopters come and help secure the site long before medievac came.

Awful as the circumstances are, you are in a position to make a difference that could help save lives and advance other people's opportunities in life.

I hope you're coping with the hardships that you're faced with. Keep us posted - and be safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

Pull out, pull out.
          I had a girlfriend once that didn't use the pill or anything. She was always saying that.

Keep your head down, Apocalypse; and thanks very much.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I thought for a second you were going to try and organize a Polymeet in Iraq.

Stay safe, hope you get the hell out of there real soon.
            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Did you find the people who did it and kill them?

Comment

I'd suppose it's a good thing that this is actually newsworthy? Ergo, less deaths in general, so even one gets to be a news item.

I was wondering, there have been less reports of death and destruction from Iraq, whether it meant pacification, or that the news networks don't bother to write about it...
                I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

It's not a real news item, look at the source.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

More people have been murdered in Chicago in the last 6 months than have died in battle in Iraq. So yeah, Tattila, you're correct.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

What's the population of Chicago vs the population of US troops in Iraq?

Comment

Care to compare the civilian death rates?
                        Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf
                          Did you find the people who did it and kill them?
                          No, we think the battalion commander might have let them go.

Comment

Originally posted by Tattila the Hun
                            I'd suppose it's a good thing that this is actually newsworthy? Ergo, less deaths in general, so even one gets to be a news item.

I was wondering, there have been less reports of death and destruction from Iraq, whether it meant pacification, or that the news networks don't bother to write about it...
                            They always have all gotten news articles; some may not be published nationally but I guarantee you each and every one was published in his/her local paper at a minimum. My brother wrote some of the articles (or supplied photos, more commonly).

In this case, it's newsworthy because of Apo's involvement, of course.
                            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

There was one wounded. We thought he was much worse than he was initially because he was going into shock. He turned out to be less critical, but still over an hour is retarded.

Comment

Working...
                              X