Wachovia says no to Citi; yes to Wells Fargo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wachovia says no to Citi; yes to Wells Fargo

In a surprise twist, the West Coast bank, Wells Fargo & Company, said Friday that it had reached an agreement to acquire a rival, the Wachovia Corporation, for about $15.1 billion.

The announcement came just four days after Citigroup had agreed to buy Wachovia’s banking operations of Wachovia for $2.2 billion of about $1 a share. But Wachovia, which is based in Charlotte, N.C., has now apparently rejected that deal in favor of one where the entire company would be acquired. How Citigroup will respond to the news remained a question Friday morning.

In a statement, Wells Fargo, which is based in San Francisco, said that the deal required no assistance from the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation or any other government agency.

The bank plans to raise up to $20 billion by issuing new shares, primarily common stock.

Under terms of the agreement, which has been approved by directors of each company, Wachovia shareholders will receive 0.1991 shares of Wells Fargo stock in exchange for each share of Wachovia common stock. The transaction, based on Wells Fargo’s closing stock price of $35.16 on Thursday, is valued at $7 a share. Wachovia has almost 2.2 billion common shares outstanding. The agreement requires the approval of Wachovia shareholders and customary approvals of regulators

“This deal enables us to keep Wachovia intact and preserve the value of an integrated company, without government support,” Wachovia’s chief executive Robert K. Steel, said in a statement. “The market presence and composition of our businesses, along with our service-oriented cultures, are extraordinarily complementary and this combination creates great potential for sustained stability and growth.”
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

after all these deals, purchases and acquisitions, does anyone know which bank manages his money anymore?
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

I'm starting to get confused (I'm with Wachovia)
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

As long as I can keep my checking account which has no check fees and no minimum balance requirements, I don't care which bank keeps my money.
        If you don't like reality, change it! me
        "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
        "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
        "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I'm with USAA, so no problems here
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Yeah I have no idea who owns my WaMu card anyomre either. Good thing it was paid off before this
            But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.
            PolyCast | Girl playing Civ + extra added babble! | Yo voté en 2008!

Comment

The cake is a lie!

If these banks were "too big to fail" before, what happens now?
              "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
              "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Now its really ****ed .

Well, the only way to save these banks, other than having the government help take them over was for other banks to buy them.

Comment

Originally posted by Makahlua
                  Yeah I have no idea who owns my WaMu card anyomre either. Good thing it was paid off before this
                  Who are you?
                  DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

I was wandering how will "no 700bn" influence this one... and here is the answer

better price and better choice no doubt for anyone tied ot Wachovia
                    Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Glad I stuck with Wells Fargo. As far as banks go in this crisis, they seem to have done exceedingly well.
                      "Beauty is not in the face...Beauty is a light in the heart." - Kahlil Gibran
                      "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved; loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves" - Victor Hugo
                      "It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good -- and less trouble." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                        I'm with USAA, so no problems here
                        I have a checking and savings account with USAA in addition to my WaMu (soon to be J.P. Morgan Chase) checking account.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Colon™

Who are you?
                          He's a polycast nerd like Imran. Fortunately virtually no one listens to polycast.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Are you sure it's a done deal?

Banking giants battle over Wachovia
                            Drama as Wells Fargo swoops in with its own offer, but FDIC backs first Citigroup bid.
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Does the FDIC get a say in the matter?
                              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Working...
                              X