Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Read something interesting: Himmler; "the architect of genocide"

I thought that was interesting.

(A paper that I must read for my course about Ethics and Public Administration).

====
    Frustrated by the inability of many of his men to follow an order, despite their willingness to do so, on August 15, 1941, Himmler asked the commander of Einsatzgruppen B (one of the four original shooting squads), Artur Nebe, to organize for him an execution to observe while he (the SS-Reichsführer) was visitingMinsk. Himmler wanted to see for himself what the problem was. Karl Wolff, his chief of personal staff, later stated that “he knew ‘from his
    [Himmler’s] own mouth’ that he had never seen a man killed” (Padfield, 1990, p. 342).

Nebe quickly organized an execution of about a hundred people—two of whom were women. Before the shooting began, Himmler conveyed an air of casual indifference as he asked the Jews some questions. However, when the shooting started, his carefree attitude toward the fate of the victims rapidly evaporated and his lack of experience of face-to-face killing was clearly exposed. Rhodes (2002) records that
    both Wolff and Bach-Zelewski remembered that Himmler was shaken by the murders. “Himmler was extremely nervous,” Bach-Zelewski testified. “He couldn’t stand still. His
    face was white as cheese, his eyes went wild and with each burst of gunfire he always looked at the ground.” (p. 152)

When the two women lay down to be shot,members of the killing squad lost their nerve, fired badly, and the victims did not die immediately.

At that point, Himmler reportedly “panicked... [and]...jumped up and screamed at the squad commander :‘ Don ’t torture these women ! Fire! Hurry up and kill them!’” (Rhodes, 2002, p. 152).

Straight after this mass execution, Bach-Zelewski told Himmler,

"Reichsführer, those were only a hundred....Look at the eyes of the men in this Kommando, how deeply shaken they are! These men are finished [fertig] for the rest of their lives.What kind of followers are we training here? Either neurotics or savages! (Hilberg, 1961, p. 218, brackets in original).

This event persuaded Himmler that shooting was too perceptually stressful for those who had to carry out the killings. Concerned by their emotional distress, he then asked Nebe to find other “more humane”ways of doing it (Hilberg, 1961, p. 219). But until a solution could be found, the shootings had to continue.
    Last edited by CrONoS; October 2, 2008, 22:59.
    bleh

There is little doubt that the Nazis and their collaborators were able to kill at a rapid rate while using firearms, before and after the introduction of gassing methods.Matthäus (2004, p. 244) records that “already by the end of 1941, the death toll among noncombatants was devastating. Between 500,000 and 800,000 Jews, including women and children, had been murdered—on average 2,700 to 4,200 per day—and entire regions were reported ‘free of Jews.’” At Babi Yar, outside Kiev, during 2 days late in September 1941, some 33,000 were shot (Goldhagen, 1996, p. 154), and during a 48-hour period in early November 1943, about
    43,000 Jews were murdered (Arad, 1987, pp. 365-369). However, the Nazis found shooting to be insufficiently “productive,” not only because there were increasing numbers of people to be killed but, perhaps more important, because it resulted in unavoidable levels of perceptual stimulation on the part of the killers, sufficient to jeopardize their continued effectiveness. As Bauman (1989) has argued,
    bleh

Comment

Interesting read. However, I feel the need to point out that words like "murdered" has rather negative connotations. To keep the story more objective in scope, it would be preferable to replace "murdered" with "killed", or perhaps as is common in scientific writing, "sacrificed".
      The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

Check out the "Holocaust" episode of "The World at War" (it's on DVD- the definitive TV history of WW2). Wolff gives his version of the same events- he said that Himmler got brains splattered on him and was so sickened that he went off to plan the camps.
        The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Yeah, THe World at War is easily the best docu ever made on WWII.
          In da butt.
          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
          THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
          "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Cronos, have you read "Les bienveillantes"? A novel about those events.
            Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Never.

Badly, I don't have any free time right now...

Was wrote by who?
              bleh

Comment

Somehow, reading Himmler's reaction makes me hate him even more. I could at least look at a total sociopath who got a kick out of such things and think that it was all part of a mental derangement. With Himmler, he doesn't have that excuse, since he was clearly "disturbed" by what he saw. That he could possibly continue with the "final solution" after that is monstrous beyond belief.
                Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by CrONoS
                  Never.

Badly, I don't have any free time right now...

Was wrote by who?
                  Jonathan Littell
                  Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Working...
                  X