Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are Canadian made products considered US domestic according to US law?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are Canadian made products considered US domestic according to US law?

Or any way some manufactured goods like Canadian made cars and car parts are considered by the US government to be domestic for the purposes of local content laws. I know this arrangement predates NAFTA too so it isn't just part of NAFTA's laws. I always thought it strange since Mexican made cars or car parts were not considered "domestic" under US law but Canadian made cars and car parts were. Strange stuff.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Because they're not from a foreign country?

Comment

Of course NAFTA made a lot of those local content laws obsolete or at least less important. Prior to NAFTA we had a huge television and computer parts manufacturing industry here in SoCal but now everything is either made in Mexico or Asia.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
        Because they're not from a foreign country?
        But why is Canada not considered foreign but Mexico is/was?

Comment

Because 90% of Canadas population lives within 50 miles of the U.S. border?

Also, because Canada is a U.S. territory and Mexico is not.

Comment

Probably a pre-NAFTA trade agreement.

Anybody who can actually answer this question is a total geek, and desperately needs to get out of the house more.
            John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Canada is our beatch. Well, no Mexico is too, so that can't be it.
              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

I think Oerdin is specifically talking about autos, and in that case you should look at the Auto Pact agreement.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Re: Why are Canadian made products considered US domestic according to US law?

Originally posted by Oerdin
                  Or any way some manufactured goods like Canadian made cars and car parts are considered by the US government to be domestic for the purposes of local content laws. I know this arrangement predates NAFTA too so it isn't just part of NAFTA's laws. I always thought it strange since Mexican made cars or car parts were not considered "domestic" under US law but Canadian made cars and car parts were. Strange stuff.
                  The auto-pact of the 50's or 60's.

Canadian and American governments agreed to allow the auto industry to integrate as if the border did not exist.

It was American manufacturers (duh) that wanted this.

The GoC agreed provided that for every car sold in Canada, one was made here.

The auto-pact was amalgamated into Can-US Free Trade and then to NAFTA.

Likewise, American made cars and parts are not differentiated from Canadian ones in Canada.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Felch
                    Probably a pre-NAFTA trade agreement.

Anybody who can actually answer this question is a total geek, and desperately needs to get out of the house more.
                    Or is Canadian and knows why Ontario became the engine of the Canadian economy.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)
                    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither

Or is Canadian and knows why Ontario became the engine of the Canadian economy.
                      That'd be me!
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Percentage of parts foreign made are under the limit to be considered foreign, probably.

Comment

Canadian and American made parts are not distinguished from each other.

There are several parts makers with operations on both sides of the border. There is no border for them.
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
                            Canadian and American made parts are not distinguished from each other.

There are several parts makers with operations on both sides of the border. There is no border for them.
                            So basicly, the're just like Native Americans...

Spec.
                            -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Working...
                            X