Where do we go when the U.S. crashes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do we go when the U.S. crashes?

Was talking things over with my girlfriend last night, reflecting that, at the current rate of money-wasting, the USA is going to crash, and it's probably going to crash hard. I'd prefer a gentle slide into obscurity, but it behooves us to have at least some idea where to flee to if the country descends into warlord rule or something. Even if we're not clear how to get there, and will probably just wind up squatting in a rural area here subsisting on agriculture.

I was thinking the UK, since they speak a language not unlike English there, but GF said the crime rate was too high for her tastes. She said Switzerland or one of the Scandinavian countries, for the sane monetary policy/stable currency, but the climate sounds pretty nasty to me. And that got us thinking, what has a nice climate? Not southern France, it's full of French people. Italy, maybe, but I seem to recall hearing that they're all messed up in some respect. I thought Greece, since they're the right religion and everything, but GF replied that her sister went on a trip there and reported that they're a little TOO Orthodox...and so on. Stalemate.

New Zealand was one of the possibilities, since the climate isn't bad, it's reasonably stable AFAIK, they speak English and they don't have the everything-is-poisonous problems of Australia.

You can see where this is going. Any suggestions for where we should seek asylum when and if the fit hits the shan?
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

We're not watching a decent into Mad Max here.

We're seeing the results of deregulation and anti-government policy which will result in a credit crunch and a rather bad recession but that's about it. The dollar will likely keep sliding especially if the government doesn't cut spending or raise taxes to pay for this $1 trillion in additional spending. My fear is they won't be able to borrow enough and will have to resort to printing money which would suck royally but what else can we expect?
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Bulgaria is no so Orthodox as Greece. And it's cheap (relatively). The weather is nice also.
      Quendelie axan!

Comment

Mexico
        Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
        GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

First thing I'm going to do is buy a sawed off shot-gun, get a motorcycle, and a leather outfit including an eyepatch. I will form a mercenary biker gang and rove the countryside plundering villages and homes.

Comment

You can come to Russia. Bonus immigration points if you have been employed by the US Government or its agency.
            Graffiti in a public toilet
            Do not require skill or wit
            Among the **** we all are poets
            Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

If teh US economy tanks many others will too. Where do you think you can run to?
              I'm consitently stupid- Japher
              I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Mexico
                Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Or I might join some extreme right-wing fascist party that will emerge from the ashes of economic devastation.

Comment

Well, Portuguese are easy-going folks and they're more willing and able to speak English than the Spanish or French. Nice weather, low crime. OTOH the economy is stagnant and things tend to be a dilapidated state.
                    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Spain Catalunya if you're into being around progressive people.

Comment

Go to New Zealand, lots of Americans are moving there last I heard.
                        be free

Comment

Hey, if USA falls so Portugal will.
                          Why do you think I post here?

Comment

Originally posted by Theben
                            If teh US economy tanks many others will too. Where do you think you can run to?
                            China? To drink poisoned milk!
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I have a crazy friend who's been planning for this for some time. He's got a number of... uh... resources stockpiled that should come in quite handy.
                              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Working...
                              X