Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Johnny Depp to play Tonto, the Mad Hatter, and...Captain Jack Sparrow!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johnny Depp to play Tonto, the Mad Hatter, and...Captain Jack Sparrow!

Johnny Depp is the main man at the Mouse House.

Depp has agreed to reprise his role as Captain Jack Sparrow in a fourth "Pirates of the Caribbean" pic and play Tonto in a bigscreen adaptation of "The Lone Ranger," both produced by Jerry Bruckheimer. He will also star as the Mad Hatter in Tim Burton’s version of "Alice in Wonderland."

The roles come after Depp helped Disney earn a combined $2.6 billion at the box office with the three pics in the "Pirates" franchise, also produced by Bruckheimer.

"Alice in Wonderland," skedded for 2010, will be shot using 3-D and performance capture technology similar to that used for "Beowulf."

Depp’s casting deals closed a full day Wednesday at the Kodak Theater, where Walt Disney Studios chairman Dick Cook touted the Mouse’s upcoming slate of pics during a showcase event for exhibitors, media and other industry insiders.

w00t! Rumors are that Keira Knightly and Orlando Bloom will NOT, I repeat, NOT be involved. This will be Jack Sparrow's movie.
    "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
    ^ The Poly equivalent of:
    "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

A 4th Pirates?
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Oh come on. You knew it would happen. Look at the ending of the 3rd one.

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

What about the ending of the 3rd one indicated there would be a sequal if it is sans Bloom and Knightley?

Oh, and sans:

Spoiler:
        Beckett and Norrington; So who's left? Sparrow and Barbossa?
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

the part where disney cashes as bunch of checks
          The undeserving maintain power by promoting hysteria.

Comment

He will also star as the Mad Hatter in Tim Burton’s version of "Alice in Wonderland."
            Christ that sounds tedious. Is there really no other actor and director to do these kinds of films?
            Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
            CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
            One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

I'm ready for a 4th. Jack Sparrow cracks me up.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Maquiladora

Christ that sounds tedious. Is there really no other actor and director to do these kinds of films?
                Its animated, a la "Beowulf".
                "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                  What about the ending of the 3rd one indicated there would be a sequal if it is sans Bloom and Knightley?

Oh, and sans:

Spoiler:
                  Beckett and Norrington; So who's left? Sparrow and Barbossa?
                  Will it be sans Bloom and Knightley?

Sparrow is the draw. If they have him, they will make money.

Spoiler:
                  Norrington wasn't a particularly significant character anymore. Beckett is generic English bad guy. Easily replaceable.

I'll grant that Will & Elizabeth would be more difficult to replace...

I'm not saying it's gonna be good, but I always figured that they'd try to make another one if they could get Depp to do it.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Depp has said for a long time that since he has so much fun playing Jack Sparrow and its a movie his kids can watch that, if the script is good enough, he'll do as many Pirate movies as Disney wants.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                      Will it be sans Bloom and Knightley?
                      You didn't read the opening post, did you?

Comment

Just rumors.
                        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Keira Knightley will not return. M&C is quotting her as saying;

"I think it was wonderful and an amazing opportunity and those films were just extraordinary and I was extremely lucky to be a part of them. But no. I think my pirating days may be over."

MoviesOnline offers the most authoritative news in Canada, featuring national and international news.

"I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Just holding out for more money.
                            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

You didn't read the opening post, did you?
                              I, um, skimmed it.

Ok, that's gonna be a tougher sell, like I said. Still, the key is Sparrow, and they've got him.

-Arrian

Comment

Working...
                              X