Fusionman at it again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fusionman at it again

A Swiss pilot is hoping to become the first person to fly solo across the English Channel using a single jet-propelled wing.

Yves Rossy will take a plane to more than 8,200ft (2,500m), ignite jets on a wing on his back, and then jump out.

He aims to complete the 22 mile (35.4 km) flight from Calais to Dover in 12 minutes reaching speeds of 125mph.

The 49-year-old former military pilot had to postpone an earlier attempt due to weather conditions.

Mr Rossy, known as "Fusionman," hopes to follow the route taken by French airman Louis Blériot 99 years ago when he became the first person to fly across the English Channel in a plane.

His quote consistently is: I'm not worried about risk, I manage risk
    Kathryn Liptrott
    National Geographic Channel

In an interview earlier this week, he said: "If I calculate everything right, I will land in Dover. But if I get it wrong, I take a bath."

The stunt will be broadcast live for the National Geographic Channel. Its producer, Kathryn Liptrott, told the BBC Rossy was fearless.

"When we've talked to him and asked him are you worried about risk his quote consistently is: I'm not worried about risk, I manage risk.

"He flew Mirage fighters for the Swiss army, he now flies an Airbus. And in his sort of heart he's a pilot and a parachutist and what they do is manage risk. He won't fly if he doesn't think that he will arrive in Dover."

The longest flight he has taken so far lasted 10 minutes.

The wing has no rudder or tail fin, so Mr Rossy will steer it using his head and back.

As well as a helmet and parachute, he will wear a special suit to protect him from the four kerosene-burning turbines mounted just centimetres from him on the wing.
    BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

I posted about him a while ago, but I still think it's ****ing cool. That is all
    Blah

Has anyone ever crossed the English Channel in a Ultralight? I don't see the difference.
    "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

The difference is, fusionman is only cooler times infinity!
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

He looks like Buzz Lightyear.

-Arrian
        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Wacky Swiss

He is basicly the fusilage. Needs little fins on the back of his shoes though.
          Long time member @ Apolyton
          Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

He has a decided lack of fusion power though
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Still, he has made it

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service
              Blah

Comment

Fusionman, you're my hero.
                Long time member @ Apolyton
                Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Working...
                X