At the Gates of the Alamo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At the Gates of the Alamo

Went to San An-tone this week. I got done with work at about 1100 in the morning, and I was in San Antonio all on my lonesome.

So, I went to the Alamo.

I know that if I were a Mexican, The Alamo would be on my "to-see" list.

Tourist traps across from the Shrine.

The Shrine of Liberty!

Some walkways by the Shrine...

Monument out front

Post Office

The Emily Morgan Hotel, which is near the grounds.

The Long Barracks, the oldest building in San Antonio, and where the last of the fighting was.

Millstone

Japanese memorial, commemorating all the Japanese at the Alamo. (Am I joking? Who knows?)

Masons!

Cannon

Cavalry Courtyard

Bronze Plaque commemorating the Texans that fought their way into the Alamo to join the defenders.

Metal map of the compound by the Long Barracks.

The Shrine itself("Gentlemen, remove your hats. No photography allowed indoors.").

Green space on the grounds.

Hospital

DRT Library

Then I ambled about San Antonio a bit...First down to the Riverwalk...

Saw some art...

A Statue....

I was pretty distressed to see a sign to my secret lair...
    Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Did you ask to see the basement?
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I bet that never gets old.
      Monkey!!!

Comment

Nope, it never does .
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
          Did you ask to see the basement?
          I don't get it.
          Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

It's a Pee-wee Herman reference.
            Monkey!!!

Comment

Well jackass, if you had mentioned you were coming, we could have had a Polymeet.

ACK!
              Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

I've stayed at the Crockett Hotel, that I believe I saw in a pic.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Nice pics Lonestar, thanks.
                  Long time member @ Apolyton
                  Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Wow, a post office
                    So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                    Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski
                      Well jackass, if you had mentioned you were coming, we could have had a Polymeet.

ACK!
                      Why exactly do you think he wants to meet you?

Comment

Originally posted by Chemical Ollie
                        Wow, a post office
                        Our country was built thanks in large part to post offices.
                        "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
                        ^ The Poly equivalent of:
                        "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Are you still here in San Antonio, Lonestar?
                          Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                          Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                          "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                          From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Originally posted by Lefty Scaevola
                            Are you still here in San Antonio, Lonestar?
                            Nope.

Well, I was doing an install and I was expecting it to go horrifically wrong, instead it went like clockwork. So I had not planned on having a lot of downtime in San Antone.

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
                              Nice pics Lonestar, thanks.
                              No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                              "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Working...
                              X