Nigerians want to shell out £350 million for Newcastle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nigerians want to shell out £350 million for Newcastle

A consortium of Nigerian entrepreneurs says it has raised £350m in an attempt to buy Newcastle United

I think this is fascinating. Not so much because I actually expect them to acquire the club, not because of jingoistic bullcrap, and not even because there's endless potential for Newcastle to be the butt of jokes. No, it's fascinating to me because Nigerians apparently have £350 million in capital they would rather invest in an English football team notorious for squandering resources, than in their own investments-starved country.
    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Why would capitalists have any interest in doing that, as opposed to putting their money into something for which they expect to get a return on their investment?
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Because its sports teams. "Investing" in sports teams is a joke (a lot of the time they don't make all that much money). They just want to be a part of the tribal sports culture.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Nigerians want to shell Newcastle, wtf?
        Blah

Comment

i think what's really happened here is that mike ashley has received an e-mail saying there's £350million waiting for him, if he just provides his bank details and a small release fee...
          "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Snuggles
            Why would capitalists have any interest in doing that, as opposed to putting their money into something for which they expect to get a return on their investment?
            Because that country is overflowing with cheap labour? How bad does an investment climate have to be if they'd rather invest their money in Newcastle for heaven's sake?
            DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Nigerian is synonymous with corruption. I wouldn't put any money into Nigeria.
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney
                i think what's really happened here is that mike ashley has received an e-mail saying there's £350million waiting for him, if he just provides his bank details and a small release fee...
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney
                  lol nice
                  Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

Re: Nigerians want to shell out £350 million for Newcastle

Originally posted by Colon™
                    A consortium of Nigerian entrepreneurs says it has raised £350m in an attempt to buy Newcastle United

I think this is fascinating. Not so much because I actually expect them to acquire the club, not because of jingoistic bullcrap, and not even because there's endless potential for Newcastle to be the butt of jokes. No, it's fascinating to me because Nigerians apparently have £350 million in capital they would rather invest in an English football team notorious for squandering resources, than in their own investments-starved country.
                    Obviously, trickle-down economics isn't working in Nigeria either.

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Snuggles

Materialism does not let marxists understand the real world
                      I need a foot massage

Comment

Working...
                      X