I.o.u.s.a.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I.o.u.s.a.

Catchy trailer, anyone seen this Sundance-accepted documentary yet? It'll probably be written off as typical scaremongering but I thought I'd ask before bothering to sneak into it Monday after already paying for Burn After Reading.

Unbelievable!

Hmm, this David Walker seems like a smart chap:

David Walker - 60 Minutes report
    Unbelievable!

Comment

I posted this about a month ago. Most here regarded it as scaremongering; haven't seen it myself.
      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by Theben
        I posted this about a month ago. Most here regarded it as scaremongering; haven't seen it myself.
        Ah yes, missed it:

Unbelievable!

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious
          IOU's are typically hard to collect. The US is good for it's debt. In fact, US debt is the most trusted in the world.
          Yeah for now, while the national debt remains below 70% of GDP. Once it pushes over 100% or even 150% some creditors might start getting nervous about the prospects of additional loans. Wouldn't there be some point where the Bank of China, OPEC countries, etc. would say enough is enough? What happens on that day?
          Unbelievable!

Comment

Originally posted by Darius871
            Wouldn't there be some point where the Bank of China, OPEC countries, etc. would say enough is enough? What happens on that day?
            Then they wouldn't sell their exports to the US either, because they get dollars for them. That's still unimaginable.
            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious
              Then they wouldn't sell their exports to the US either, because they get dollars for them. That's still unimaginable.
              Then why care about deficits at all? Why not set the debt to 1000% of GDP, if their "need" to export to us translates into a need to lend to us without limit? It doesn't make sense. Something's gotta give.
              Unbelievable!

Comment

Then why care about deficits at all? Why not set the debt to 1000% of GDP, if their "need" to export to us translates into a need to lend to us without limit? It doesn't make sense. Something's gotta give.
                The amount the export to us determines how much they lend us. The trade deficit obviously matters, but their ability to export to us is limited so is the amount they will lend to us.

Comment

Please elaborate.
                  Unbelievable!

Comment

Please elaborate.
                    In the case of China they can only save so much, and you need to save to export. In fact, that's getting harder in China due to wage pressure.

Oil exporting is a little different because if the price of oil goes up so will the value of the exports. Their exports aren't constrained by their own economy, but by the price of oil and how much we consume. But if the price of oil goes too high then the US will go into a recession. That's a constraint itself.

Comment

I never said anything about "saving." Suppose in 2018 the Bank of China up and decides to take its abundant foreign exchange reserves derived from exports, and invest them in countries other than the U.S. (or in different portions of the U.S. market), where they could get a higher rate of return and/or lower risk of default than treasury securities? How would that choice so drastically "constrain" their ability to export?
                      Unbelievable!

Comment

I never said anything about "saving." Suppose in 2018 the Bank of China up and decides to take its abundant foreign exchange reserves derived from exports, and invest them in countries other than the U.S. (or in different portions of the U.S. market), where they could get a higher rate of return and/or lower risk of default than treasury securities? How would that choice so drastically "constrain" their ability to export?
                        Well if they did that it would cause the value of the dollar to collapse. First, their currency is pegged to the dollar. Second, if they let it float or pegged it to something else they would get far less for their exports because of the decreased value of the dollar. So they really can't do that unless they don't have any further interest in exporting to the US.

Comment

The RMB has been "pegged" to a basked of currencies for quite some time now...
                          DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Working...
                          X