No announcement yet.

My Friend Has A Science Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

isn't centripetal acceleration = v^2/r? Your being thrown off by the spinning, so your weight goes down by F=ma.
    "

Comment

Where's KrazyHorse and GP? They could debate this for hours until Lori felt sufficiently punished for asking the question.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

In other words, grav acceleration is 9.8m/s, centripetal acceleration is v^2/r(which would come out as negative by defining grav acceleration as positive). So your weight is equal to F=weight=M(9.8m/s-(v^2/r)).
        "

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH
          Why would centripetal force effect weight? IIRC from my physics classes some 25 years ago, the effects of centripetal force are perpendicular to the effects of gravity.
          From my physics class, some 30y ago, the centripetal force (centri=centre, petere=to search, to ask, to seek) is the force that keeps you rotating at fixed range (=radius) in a uniform circular movement.
          In the case of earth - a solid sphere - the only force that is truely centripetal is gravity.
          There is a centrifugal (pseudo?) force, countering the centripetal force, directed in opposite direction, caused by your mass and the speed of rotation.
          In order for an object to stay at the surface of a bigger, rotating sphere, the centripetal force (=gravity) must be bigger than the centrifugal (=due to rotation speed) one.

So, the question is I guess about the centrifugal force, not centripetal force.

real weight = weight due to gravity - centrifugal force.

There might also be some inertial force involved, but my physic memories about it are too blured.
          The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

Comment

*affect

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
              Where's KrazyHorse and GP?
              Don't know about GP, but KH is gone until October 17th. Wonder if I can keep the thread going that long.
              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I prefer you didn't.
                This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Thanks for the bump.
                  Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                  "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Best thread ever, or bestest thread evar?
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                    X