Paintings? Art?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paintings? Art?

OK so I'm thinking about paintings I'll have in my study room. We're going to buy a new apartment in few years and it's going to have a study room so I can set up my paintings there because they can't be used in other rooms. But this room, I can put what ever I want on the walls. So it's not so much about "oh you can't put those two together". Just individual pieces. But I'm looking for suggestions, because I noticed that I have a taste for paintings that some of you who know more about it, you could give me suggestions or information to a path of educating myself more about this, so I can find more. Plus I'm genuinely interested.

Paintings I like:

Bosch's Garden of Earthly Delights:

Bosch's Ship of Fools:

I like Bosch because of the fine details and the depth of what is in these paintings, their meanings and history.

Then naturally Dali, I don't need to post any of his surrealist paintings, you know them. Those I really like in a way of how they look.

I also like Klimt for some weird reason, an example of my very favourite:

Then Francisco Goya:

Magritte:

and so forth...
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Wow, you like some grotesque stuff. I mean, I like Bosch too, but I wouldn't want him on my study wall. Still, whatever floats your boat. Just don't blame me if you wind up killing someone.

I wouldn't use the Garden unless you have a positively ginormous study; you won't be able to appreciate the little details without a magnifying glass unless the print is about four or five feet wide.

Me, I love Monet. But I'm going to assume that's a "no."
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

It's five feet wide? Ok. That's too big.

I can't hang those things anywhere else except in the study, because they wouldn't fit anywhere else. Well, not there either, but it's the only place to have them.
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Grotesque? To me it's more like... delightful. I like that European weirdo stuff. Yeah, if you look at it as it is, it's not actually a mood lifter, more like scary, but I look at it from the perspective of what a weirdo Goya was, and suddenly it becomes delightful.
        In da butt.

Comment

Actually, the original is more than twelve feet wide, according to Wikipedia (220 × 389 cm, 87 × 153 in). It's a BIG painting.
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Wow. But how cool would that be, if you could have it? IT's got so many details, so much stuff, it's totally amazing.

But mostly those paintings I gave in the OP, they have more personal meaning, so the style itself is not so much a joy to my eye.

But I like Klimt and Dali, so those kinds of things are something that pleases my visual side very much. So, if anyone catches a clue of what I'm talking about, I'd like more recommendations.

Elok, but Monet is sort of out of my scope. I don't dislike Monet, it's just that I don't enjoy it enough, a matter of opinion and taste I guess.
            In da butt.

Comment

This:
              Attached Files

Comment

@Pekka

When the triptych's wings are closed, the design of the outer panels becomes visible. Rendered in a green–gray grisaille,[12] the panels lack colour, possibly indicating that the painting reflects a time before the creation of the sun and moon, which were formed to "give light to the earth".[13] It was common for the outer panels of Netherlandish altarpieces to be in grisaille, such that their blandness highlighted the splendid colour inside.[14]
                bleh

Comment

cronos, YES! Exactly

More please
                  In da butt.

Comment

If you like Bosch paintings (me too, i have seen it in first person at El Prado musseum and the atmosphere of the Garden of Earthly Delights is really amazing and make you think that the Bosch had some misterious and cryptic knowledges) you´ll also like "The Fairy Feller’s Master-Stroke" The paintinf itself is incredible but the history behind it and the crazy author is a very amazing one too:

Last edited by Thorgal; September 20, 2008, 14:44.
                    Ich bin der Zorn Gottes. Wer sonst ist mit mir?

Comment

Alphonse Mucha (Different style; more realist)

Last edited by CrONoS; September 20, 2008, 15:08.
                      bleh

Comment

I seriously love Gustave Doré;

bleh

Comment

Goya; Dreams of reason

William Blake?

Last edited by CrONoS; September 20, 2008, 15:19.
                          bleh

Comment

Working...
                          X