Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Aztec and Mayan Calendars and December 2012

In "Future of Religion" post #26 DarkCloud wrote:
    More likely is the Aztec calendar ending in 2012 coinciding with massive solar flares that take out satellites... and set back technology...
    or a magnetic pole flip in 2012 coinciding with the Aztec calendar- which would fry most computers.
    This topic carries no little fascination for me. A quick search turned up a site, World Mysteries - Strange Artifacts - Mayan and Aztec Calendars, a nicely put together discussion of these timepieces. At the end of the section on the Mayan Calendar, there is a neat little Date Conversion Applet.
    Any interest, thoughts, observations?
    Will the end of this cycle be The End of the World; the end of the world as we know it; or a non-event, a simple turning to 13-0-0-0-0 (compare to the non-event 2000 AD)?
    edit: Today is 12.19.16.9.2.
    Last edited by gwillybj; September 19, 2008, 09:42.
    I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

The Aztecs also thought the world would end every 52 years unless the Gods got an enormous supply of fresh human hearts to keep their strength up.

So, none of the above.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

And they couldn't even use the wheel properly.

Then again they've got more cerdibility than scientologists
      Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
      Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

The wheel thing probably had to do with a lack of animals suitable for cart-pulling, though given their attitude towards human life they might have just used teams of slaves.

I'm not sure about having more credibility than Scientologists WRT the world ending. Certainly they have more than the Jehovah's Witnesses, who've predicted the apocalypse roughly fifty times IIRC.
        1011 1100
        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Science do tell us that the switching of Earth's magnetic poles is well over due, and the Mayans' description could suit, but I'm far from trusting them. Interesting theory though. I came over it on the internet around a decade ago, on this weirdo site some Sami pseudo-shaman had going at the time. I think the site's still available actually.
          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
          I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
          Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

OK, there is the end of a 5000+ years cycles of one of the most complex and original calendars, and it is interesting to live that day (just as it was cool to live in the year 2000).
            Everything else is complete fabrication and idiocy, assuming a coinciding "real world" scientific disaster "just because". And since nothing seems to really indicate that there will be disaster, let's cling to far-fetched theories like polar shifting, CERN and other worm holes...
            I take the disaster in 3100BC was the Great Deluge...
            "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
            "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Working...
            X