Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What exactly is an elitist?

Originally posted by aneeshm
    I've been hearing this term being bandied about a lot recently, generally with reference to the US presidential elections, and specifically with reference to Barack Obama.

My question here is: what exactly is an elitist? What is your test for someone being an elitist?

I'd request everyone to keep the US election out of this. Imagine that you were asked this question ten years back, or some other time when this was not such a political issue. If you had to give a general answer, what would you say?
    It's just another silly label to either paint someone as the bad guy not understanding "teh people", or, if you're the guy in question and use it to describe yourself positively to paint the broad mass as stupid/uncultured/whatever, while you're the enlightended one.

We're all elitists in some way
    Blah

Comment

Re: Re: What exactly is an elitist?

Originally posted by BeBro
      It's just another silly label to paint someone as the bad guy not understanding "teh people"
      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Speak for yourself... I am perfectly at home eating Taco Bell and talking to plumbers
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

What about being an 3L1t15t?

Comment

Re: What exactly is an elitist?

Originally posted by aneeshm
            I've been hearing this term being bandied about a lot recently, generally with reference to the US presidential elections, and specifically with reference to Barack Obama.

My question here is: what exactly is an elitist? What is your test for someone being an elitist?

I'd request everyone to keep the US election out of this. Imagine that you were asked this question ten years back, or some other time when this was not such a political issue. If you had to give a general answer, what would you say?
            def:
            e·lit·ism or é·lit·ism (ĭ-lç'tĭz'əm, â-lç'-) Pronunciation Key
            n.
            The belief that certain persons or members of certain classes or groups deserve favored treatment by virtue of their perceived superiority, as in intellect, social status, or financial resources.

The sense of entitlement enjoyed by such a group or class.
            Control, rule, or domination by such a group or class.

e·lit'ist adj. & n.

As a pejorative, the word is meant to envoke someone who is antiegalitarian and aristocratic.

As for test, the most simplistic one would be perceived disdain for "common" culture and rituals and a support of aristocratic values and cosmopolitan tastes, ie. liking "high art" and exotic and expensive cuisine over "pop art" and "common foods."
            If you don't like reality, change it! me
            "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
            "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
            "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

GePap claims to be elitist, he may well be...but he is not elite. It is funn-ee.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Riesstiu IV
                People who don't live in a trailer park and think Larry the Cable Guy is funny.
                Crap. I don't live in a trailer park, and I think Lawrence the Cable Technician is hilarious.

Comment

All I know is they aren't rednecks, or whatever, and occasionally migrate to English castles.
                  I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                  I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Comment

Elitist = Any Apolyton member who ever had sex with a girl

That definition leaves out quite many

And yeah, off course black belt in Kama Sutra also qualifies
                      So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                      Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

If you are conservative, it means anyone who has any sort of education and attempts to apply it to public service, because voting for intelligent people is bad. Only idiots should be in politics, apparently.

If you are liberal, it means anyone who gains access to money and then spends it on things they want and need, rather than giving it away to everyone else. People working for their own needs is bad, apparently.
                        You've just proven signature advertising works!

Comment

Originally posted by Riesstiu IV
                          What about being an 3L1t15t?
                          It's someone who isn't tolerant of script kiddies.

Comment

In the United States, elitism is code for liberal and is used to mean that liberal politics aren't in touch with "regular" folk. The fact that this theory was foisted on "regular" folk by the political and social elite of the United States to label people who very frequently fight for the average person is one of the great ironies of American politics. For example, John McCain, who has so many houses he can't even count them all, is not an elitist. Barrak Obama, who started his career organizing low income people in the city IS an elitist.
                            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Working...
                            X