No announcement yet.

Anderson Cooper to pimp slap Obama tonight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a signal, really. Not like Senator Biden (D-MBNA) is all that unfamiliar to lobbyists... especially the banking kinds.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Don't forget that Biden's tagged D-MBNA for supporting legislation that was backed by the entire Republican party (even guys like Chafee supported the Bankruptcy Bill).
      "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
      -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
        It's a signal, really...
        True. Like Gov. Palin saying she was going to fully cooperate with the Troopergate investigation and then ordering state employers not to comply with subpoenas.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo
          Don't forget that Biden's tagged D-MBNA for supporting legislation that was backed by the entire Republican party (even guys like Chafee supported the Bankruptcy Bill).
          At least one can make an argument that the Republican Party agreed with the bill for ideological reasons. Biden, a liberal, signs a bankrupcy bill that benefits credit card companies like MBNA (which is, btw, the biggest contributor to Biden's campaigns for Senate) which reside in his home state, and end up hiring his son for "consulting" during that time:

Syndicated news and opinion website providing continuously updated headlines to top news and analysis sources.

Doesn't smell all that good when you are out for fighting the evil lobbyists!
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Everyone does their home state pork. It's not limited to Biden. The issue here isn't lobbyist influence, but the fact that Biden's constituents are dependent on the the health of the credit card industry.
            "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
            -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

True. Like Gov. Palin saying she was going to fully cooperate with the Troopergate investigation and then ordering state employers not to comply with subpoenas.
              Well, I think she's just trying to assure us that she's a suitable replacement for Cheney. We won't even notice the difference.
              "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
              -Joan Robinson

Comment

Everyone does their home state pork. It's not limited to Biden. The issue here isn't lobbyist influence, but the fact that Biden's constituents are dependent on the the health of the credit card industry.
                The point is that the D-MBNA comes from more than just voting for the bankruptcy bill. It's a general belief that Biden is the pockets of the credit card companies (and this belief isn't something that was only started by Republicans running against him).

Comment

He's in the pocket of the credit card industry because that's pretty much what Delaware is. He gets a lot of money from MBNA employees because there are a lot of MBNA employees in the state. It's not about lobbyist influence, but constituent influence.
                  -Bokonon

Comment

Because the Vice President's kids usually play significant parts in the Admin? I forget, what job was G Dub given in the Reagan Admin?

Take off those blinders!

Comment

Take off those blinders!

You're saying that the VP's kid somehow has a comparable role in governance as a Chief of Staff, Communications Director, etc. Talk about blinders...

Again, what role did G Dub play in the Reagan Admin?
                      -Bokonon

Comment

He's in the pocket of the credit card industry because that's pretty much what Delaware is. He gets a lot of money from MBNA employees because there are a lot of MBNA employees in the state. It's not about lobbyist influence, but constituent influence.
                        So you don't think that Biden votes on what's best for the credit card companies rather than what's best for the people of his state? Being a liberal Democrat, I'm sure that he really thought that the bankrupcy bill wouldn't be good for most people in his state, even if it would be good for the credit card companies (who btw, likely wouldn't have taken that extra money and given it to the lower level employees).

And obviously, that doesn't matter why he is in their pockets, because after all, Texas legislators are in the pockets of the oil industry, but they get railed on for that all the time, even though that's a big part of what Texas is.

Comment

No one knows what he believes in his heart of hearts, but if you're doing credit card companies' business for a few decades, odds are you don't believe them to be the root of all evil. And they probably are a major boon to the residents of Delaware. That's why all DE politicians are in its pocket (i.e. Carper and Castle).

And it's not like he's an orthodox liberal; see his views on crime policy, for example. Overall, he's in the middle of the Senate Dem Caucus (along with Obama and Clinton).

And if you think that it doesn't matter why he's in MBNA's pocket, clearly the entire Republican Party is damned here as well. So motive does matter wrt this argument. Biden thinks that legislation like the Bankruptcy Bill would deliver for his constituents. It's not because he regularly trades favors with lobbyists. If he did that, he wouldn't be one of the poorest Senators.
                          -Bokonon

Comment

Using this method you could rationalize any influence peddling by lobbyists. The business is a big employer for my state so anything that's good for them is good for my state. That's sad.
                            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Poorest senators by what definition, exactly? You know lobbyist stuff doesn't exactly get reported on the balance sheet...
                              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

And if you think that it doesn't matter why he's in MBNA's pocket, clearly the entire Republican Party is damned here as well. So motive does matter wrt this argument.

Apparently it matters plenty when people say Texas lawmakers (like the President) are in the pockets of Big Oil.

Comment

Working...
                                X