Labour Steps Back from the Brink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Labour Steps Back from the Brink

after 10 million threads on the US elections, i think it's time to look at what's happening in the UK political areana.

for those who don't know; gordon brown was appointed prime minister just over a year ago with great fanfare and reverie and for the first few months he seemed to do well. he toyed with the idea of going to the public to seek a mandate to govern but then famously bottled calling the election. since then it's all been downhill for the labour party generally and him personally. he's lurched from one crisis to another and now some of his own MPs are coming out and saying publicly what many must surely think privately. a dozen have openly called for a leadership contest but have so far been blocked in there efforts by party chiefs. a junior minister looks likely to resign in protest at brown's poor performance. it appears likely that the calls for him to go will only get louder as the party conference draws near, but this event is widely seen as the best chance for brown to save himself.

i don't think anyone is now arguing that labour will win the next election, all the talk is about the scale of the defeat. will it be a massacre like 1997 was for the tories, or can the situation be salvaged to some extent. would david milliband, jack straw or alan johnson do a better job at the helm. could labour really change leader again without going to the public. would people forgive the party for turning on themselves during a time of economic hardship and uncertainty.

discuss.
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Dunno much 'bout UK domestic stuff, but I always wondered when the next elections will take place - is that completely up to Brown to announce them, or is there a max. time after which there have to be elections? After all, if it's all about him he could just be PM for the rest of his life....
    Blah

Comment

It's hard to know what they did wrong. I hate NuLabour, but then I'm a communist, and representative of a minority view.

This has a whiff of the sort of hate that people have for reality television contests.

Any ideas??

Watching Grauniad columnists defend NuLabour is a hell of a sport, though.
      Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
        Dunno much 'bout UK domestic stuff, but I always wondered when the next elections will take place - is that completely up to Brown to announce them, or is there a max. time after which there have to be elections? After all, if it's all about him he could just be PM for the rest of his life....
        There's a limit AFAIK, but it's long.
        Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
        I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
        Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

I think that the lack of an election after Brown's taking the helm has hurt greatly. There appears to be some resentment about that.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

It's five years.

Unless there is argreement by both houses of parliament to extend it's term(this last happened in WW2)

Interestingly in this scenario the house of lords has to agree with the commons. In every other type of bill before parilament it can only postpone the passing of a bill for a year.
            Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
            Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
              an election has to be held within 5 years of the last one, but the prime minister may ask the queen to dissolve parliament at any time, thus triggering an election.

aggie, it depends who you ask i suppose. they've promised the earth in the last 3 elections and spent a fortune largely failing to deliver. they seem to have run out of ideas and credibility, rather like the last tory government in the mid 90s. the fact that the economy is going down the crapper isn't helping them either.
              "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Ahh, 5 years, I see
                Blah

Comment

gordon brown has a secret weapon he hired the week he assumed PM's office: bob shrum

Comment

Originally posted by TheStinger
                    It's five years.

Unless there is argreement by both houses of parliament to extend it's term(this last happened in WW2)
                    That seems like a terribly bad idea (unless it takes a supermajority of 66% or something). I mean, imagine if the Republicans in 2002 could've voted to extend the terms...
                    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

not really. our second chamber isn't elected and no party has a majority there. also it would be political suicide for a party to try to extend a parliamentary term without a very good reason.

Comment

The UK has elections?

Comment

Working...
                        X