J'accuse!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J'accuse!!!

Remember a few months ago, we were debating whether $140/barrel oil was the result of supply-and-demand or the work of evil speculators?

Well, supply and demand is about the same. But oil is now down below $100/barrel.

To me, this indicates that $40/barrel was inflated profits being syphoned off by speculators.

While speculators do serve a purpose, it looks like they were out of control here and that more regulations of them are necessary.

Jesus Christ, Zkrib. Do you understand what speculators do?

Comment

Sweet fancy Moses in a sidecar, you're clueless.
      "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
        Jesus Christ, Zkrib. Do you understand what speculators do?
        When they operate properly, they provide markets, smooth out prices, and in general, help the flow of commodities.

But when they're out of control, allowed to operate on razon-thin margins, they can -- as here -- artificially cause prices to spike.

And here, where the commodity was energy, the ripples of inflation flowed out into food, and virtually everything that travels. Airlines are teetering on insolvency; the SUV market has crashed; the use of ethonol is being questioned; demands are being made to drill in ecologically sensative areas.

Comment

It's not speculators that did it, it's the Illuminati. And I have just as much proof as Zkrib.
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
            It's not speculators that did it, it's the Illuminati. And I have just as much proof as Zkrib.
            Elok's found out. Now we'll have to kill him.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
              When they operate properly, they provide markets, smooth out prices, and in general, help the flow of commodities.

But when they're out of control, allowed to operate on razon-thin margins, they can -- as here -- artificially cause prices to spike.
              I'll take that as a 'no'.

Comment

Union execs don't need to know how economics work. All they need to know is greed is good.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

I'll take that as a 'no'.
                  I take it that you believe that speculators can swarm a commodity, buying heavily on highly leveraged margin, and it won't affect the price?

Comment

Re: J'accuse!!!

Well, supply and demand is about the same.

Feeling the Pinch: Gasoline Prices Vary (a lot) from Country to Country

Whether Americans decided against vacations this summer—or at least made them more efficient or closer to home (“staycations”)—or are carpooling or using more public transportation, the message is clear: sustained high retail prices for motor gasoline are having an impact on the American driver. U.S. gasoline demand, according to the Energy Information Administration (EIA), declined by 2.3 percent in May and 4.4 percent in June, compared with the same time periods a year ago. This reflected the largest decline in year-ago gasoline demand in May since 1980 and the fifth-largest year-ago decline in any May since at least 1945. For June the comparisons are even more dramatic, with the year-ago decline this June the largest since 1980 and the third-largest since 1945.

Americans have also been consuming less oil overall. Total oil consumption data from the first half of 2008 compared with the first half of 2007 show that Americans consumed, on average, 925,000 barrels per day (or 4.5 percent) less. Over the same period, the United Kingdom, France, and Italy also posted continued declines in oil consumption, while consumption in the rest of the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) countries was relatively flat. According to EIA’s latest Short-Term Energy Outlook OECD countries consumed about 1 million barrels per day less in the first half of 2008 than in the first half of 2007.

Over the same period, non-OECD countries accounted for about 1.3 million barrels per day of increased consumption, with significant growth taking place in China, the Middle East, and Latin America. The reasons for this increase include the faster-growing economies of the developing world and their energy-intensive industrial sectors. A key reason for the sharp contrast in oil consumption trends in the OECD and non-OECD countries is differences in retail prices, as shown in the figure below.
                    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

I take it that you believe that speculators can swarm a commodity, buying heavily on highly leveraged margin, and it won't affect the price?
                      Do you have any idea why speculators "swarm a commodity", and why the price increase is a good thing?

Comment

Colon, what do you think you are doing bringing facts in here?!
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Not only is demand down right now, future demand is also being predicted to be lower due to the crash.
                          "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                          -Joan Robinson

Comment

demand will decrease and continue to do so as long as we cut our fuel with sheit like ethanol... the more the better I say.
                            Monkey!!!

Comment

You probably like bartenders cutting your whiskey, too...
                              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Working...
                              X