Anyone a Neal Stephenson fan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone a Neal Stephenson fan?

I know that there are some sci fi nuts here.

Some students recommended his books to me, especially the new one called Anathem, which looks like a play on the title of an Ayn Rand (ugh!) novel, but may well not be.

The reason is that Anathem is supposed to re-personify some of the philosophers I work on, and supposedly says some interesting things. I'm sceptical about this, since "philosophy" in novels tends to look like it has been cribbed from "Plato for Dummies" books. But Mr Stephenson has a pretty good reputation, so it appears he may be different.

Should I bother? Is he a good writer over and above his intellectual pretensions? If so, then it will be worth reading whatever the content (like HST or WSB).

For the record, I generally don't read contemporary novels. The last one I liked was a trash novel about some Classics students who go insane and kill people. I'm still trying to finish The Road, but a world full of ash seems to be rather boring.
    Only feebs vote.

Scratch that: I know what anathem means. It is either ἀνάθημα which means a religious offering or simply an ornament or delight, or ἀνάθεμα which means a thing devoted to evil, or a curse.

I wonder if he intended the ambiguity. If so, props to him.
    Only feebs vote.

Comment

I met him at a book signing once. Didn't really know who he was though. I think I read one of his books, something about Mars, long ago.

Edit: No, I must be thinking of a different Neal sci-fi author.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Neal Stephenson is excellent, and tends to be fairly didactic (in a good way). He also does a lot of research, and it shows.

Comment

Kuciwalker summed him up well. Excellent author. I DID meet him at a book signing back when the Diamond Age came out. After the last trilogy I don't really consider him a pure science fiction writer - but instead a good all round writer.

Comment

I've read a couple and enjoyed them. I never recommend science fiction writers to people who don't read the genre. But Stephenson can write, so you could do worse.
            Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

He is good, for the ones I read. Bad at finishing his early books.

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Anathem is also probably referring to anathema ...

Anyone who considers The Road boring should consider a field other than philosophy, also. Kant is boring. Weber is mind-numbingly boring. The Road is deep, thoughtful, and well written; it is certainly not boring.
                <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Yeah, Stephenson is not good at actually ending his stories.

Comment

I very much enjoyed Cryptonomicon.
                    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                    Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

The Road is deep, thoughtful, and well written; it is certainly not boring.

QFT!

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Totally overrated.
                        "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                        -Bokonon

Comment

Neal, or The Road?

BTW, for a great postapocalyptic marathon read The Road, Parable of the Sower (Octavia Butler), and I Am Legend (Matheson) ... and then grab Sean McMullen's Miocene Arrow trilogy for some light reading afterwards
                          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Neal, though I've only read "Quicksilver." The premise sounded great, but I didn't enjoy the writing at all.
                            "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                            -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                              Anathem is also probably referring to anathema ...
                              Don't you have unicode on in your browser? That's one meaning in Greek, but it has another due to eta and epsilon both being symbolized by "e" ("anathema" and "anathēma"). Considering the subject matter, it seems to be a pretty clever title to me.

Anyone who considers The Road boring should consider a field other than philosophy, also. Kant is boring. Weber is mind-numbingly boring. The Road is deep, thoughtful, and well written; it is certainly not boring.
                              I agree that Kant and Weber are boring, which is why I study Plato. But the Road is a story and not a work of philosophy.

Perhaps I didn't get up to the good bit yet (for most people that is the part with bare boobies).
                              Only feebs vote.

Comment

Working...
                              X